The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My floating thermometer just broke in my wort...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
GarrettLaneBC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My floating thermometer just broke in my wort...

Just as I was about to reach a boil, the outer casing of my floating thermometer broke in my wort. The inner part is fine, so there is no worry about mercury or anything like that, but there is broken glass and metal shot in my brew kettle. It is currently boiling away.

I am continuing with the brew. I already used all the grain for the batch, the only thing I'd save by stopping now is a couple bucks worth of hops and dry yeast. Is there anything potential dangerous in this that would have me concerned? If that metal shot is lead based, is my beer potentially toxic?

Any insight would be appreciated. I was really looking forward to this batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
BrewinBigD
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Happened to me just the other week, i droped my thermometer into the kettle and it shattered when it bounced off the bottom. Theres nothing toxic in the weight. Its just steel shot and red silicone to cover it. I just let it boil and whirlpooled real hard to ensure all the debris was on center bottom of the trub. Even if you got a little in the fermenter its heavy enough to sink below the yeast cake anyways.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #3
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have read this so many times that I don't use a floating thermometer anymore, I found a stainless candy thermometer at walmart that has a plastic top and a clip to hang it on the side of my pot.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #4
pyth
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Me personally, that would be a dumper. I won't dump for much, but I won't risk drinking broken glass, nor serving broken glass to someone else.

Quick Reply