Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My first Pliny the Elder

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
johnodon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

Default My first Pliny the Elder

So, two co-workers and myself went to a local bar at lunch. Yeah...we roll like that!

Anyway, my one buddy likes really, really hoppy beers. He is a huge Hop Devil fan (for anyone familiar). This particular bar is known for carrying a great beer selection...both kegged and bottled. We looked over the beer menu and the closest thing I could find to Hop Devil was Bell's Two-Hearted Ale so he orded one.

We started talking beers and I brought up Pliny the Elder and the IBUs and how hard it is to come by. 5 minutes later that bartender comes out and says "we just got two kegs of Pliny the Elder in and just tapped one of them...$5 a pint." The funny part is that she never heard a word of our conversation. GAME ON!!!

This is the first time I have ever had Pliny and I have to say that it is not nearly as bitter as I had expected (which to me is a good thing). I almost expected a beer that was undrinkable based on the IBUs. Surprisingly, it was very mellow with nice bitterness (close to Hop Devil but without that brutal "bite"). Man was it good!!!

So, I think my next batch will be a Pliny the Elder clone. Any suggestions for recipe?

John

...I'm back baby!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I wish you better luck than me. Both of my pliny clones have failed...

Old 09-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Here's the recipe straight from Vinnie at Russian River:

http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/1Pliny...lone%20PDF.pdf

RR uses Hop extract for the 90minute hop addition. So feel free to substitute any super-high alpha acid hop for CTZ at 90min. Warrior or Summit come to mind. CTZ works fine though. I also heard Vinnie talk about Pliny on a podcast lately, he's now adding Amarillo to the dry hop in addition to what's already there.

The critical part about this beer is: It has to finish dry. OG should be about 1.070, and you want the FG as low as you can get it, 1.010 or so. So you need to pitch a boat load of healthy yeast.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Farmhouse Brewing Supply sells Pliny hop kits. I think he may have some available now or coming soon.

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com

BN Army for Life!!!

Old 09-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
Indyking
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland View Post

RR uses Hop extract for the 90minute hop addition. So feel free to substitute any super-high alpha acid hop for CTZ at 90min. Warrior or Summit come to mind. CTZ works fine though. I also heard Vinnie talk about Pliny on a podcast lately, he's now adding Amarillo to the dry hop in addition to what's already there.

The critical part about this beer is: It has to finish dry. OG should be about 1.070, and you want the FG as low as you can get it, 1.010 or so. So you need to pitch a boat load of healthy yeast.

Incredibly simple recipe for the beer considered one of the best in the world!

If indeed the dry finish is the critical part of this beer, make sure you mash at the lower range of saccharification rest at 150-152F. The dextrose sugar in the recipe is critical because it also helps with the dryness.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts

It is way more complicated the Westvleteren 12.

1. Pilsner and pale ale malt
2. Sugar
3. Hop extract
4. Get some yeast from that brewery down the road that knows how to handle it
5. Make it really hard to buy
6. ???
7. Profit

Old 09-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
Turner5
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland View Post

Here's a good article too.

http://486286.cache1.evolutionhostin.../doubleIPA.pdf

The end of the article he talks about the younger too and how it has Amarillo in it. I brewed the recipe and added Amarillo every time there was a simcoe addition. Turneded out awesome!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
johnodon
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner5 View Post
Here's a good article too.

http://486286.cache1.evolutionhostin.../doubleIPA.pdf

The end of the article he talks about the younger too and how it has Amarillo in it. I brewed the recipe and added Amarillo every time there was a simcoe addition. Turneded out awesome!
This is absolutely perfect!!! Thanks for sharing.

John

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
ceweldon
Recipes 

I recently brewed a Pliny kit and I'm not happy with it. It's good, but it's not what I remember Pliny to be. It was also my first time dry hopping with pellet hops, I have since sworn off using pellet hops ever since. The one thing I am happy about is I think the recipe could have been great with a couple of tweaks, so I can now tweak it into something more interesting.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I think my biggest downfall on brewing this was not filtering out the hops. On most beers, just throwing the hops in without a bag is adequate, but with such a huge amount of hops on this recipe, I will definitely use a hop bag next time!

Quick Reply