*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My first cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
elgee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My first cider

Made my first cider last week, just added some brown sugar to 10 lbs of apples juiced to make 1 gallon. Added s-05 and after a week it tastes somewhat sour. Is this normal? Will the sourness go away?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
oconnorshomebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Apple cider is acidic, so when you ferment all of that sugar, you're left with a fairly tart beverage. Of course the pH variable with what sort of varieties are in the cider. While brown sugar will leave some residual flavor, sugar is only going to dry it out more and enhance the acidity. Unless you kill off the yeast and back-sweeten the cider, that acidity is going to be quite present. Like most things, it should mellow a bit with age, but I don't think it's ever going to go away.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply