The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My First All Grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2005, 07:28 PM   #1
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default My First All Grain

Started my first all grain today, I only made a 3 gallon batch. An american Brown. The guy at the HBS said my gravity would be around 1050-1060. I got a 1054. I did not find it that difficult, it seems when you read the threads and all the pics its looks harder than what it is. We'll see how it turns out...Sure does smell good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2005, 08:38 PM   #2
D-brewmeister

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Congrats on getting into the a.g! I hope to be doing my first a.g batch in about a week (still waiting for some equip in the mail). Let us know how it turns out!

Guid ale keeps my heart aboon!
-- Robert Burns

Old 02-21-2005, 12:49 AM   #3
Buster
Recipes 

Congratulations on your first All Grain!. I'm betting it'll be the first of many!. It is difficult to describe the mashing process and it does look complex. But once you try it you realise it ain't that difficult after all. Once you've done a couple of brews and tasted the difference you'll wonder why you didn't do it ages ago!. Don't forget to let us know how it turns out.

Old 02-21-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

can you describe your set up and proccess? i'm curious. i've been doing a mini mash with about half the grain you'd normally use for a five gallon batch and dme to get the rest of the fermentables.

the pale ale i bottled last week tasted pretty good before i put it in the bottles.

i'm still on the transitional bubble, the malt extract is killing me, killing me in the price dept.... i spend as much on extract as i do grain, yeast and hops... sooooo it won't be long before i go all grain... i'll have to move the operation outdoors though, as the kitchen stove i don't think can handle the increased volume of liquid on the burner...

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 02-21-2005, 02:45 PM   #5
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Ale
Started my first all grain today, I only made a 3 gallon batch. An american Brown. The guy at the HBS said my gravity would be around 1050-1060. I got a 1054. I did not find it that difficult, it seems when you read the threads and all the pics its looks harder than what it is. We'll see how it turns out...Sure does smell good.
congrats on the AG! i hope i kegged my last grain/extract yesterday? going to the local HBS this weekend and plan on buying my ingredients for my first AG. i noticed your from Houston? i'm from outside Beaumont. did you know that St. Arnold's is having an American Homebrewers Association membership drive this Sunday? it's from 1-4 pm, and entry fee i believe is $34? it covers your one year membership to the AHA, plus they are going to tap a cask, have some homebrew shops there, etc. Should be cool.

keep us posted on the american brown!
DeRoux's Broux

Quick Reply