my dog ate some grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mummasan

Reaction score
After making my first batch of AG - I discovered my dog eating some of the spent grains that I rinsed out of my cooler.

Has that happened to anyone else?

Perhaps I could save some money and replace the store bought food with the grains. Hmmm.

My dog likes 'em, too. I try to keep him away from the stuff, though. There isn't much nutritional value left after the mash...and I'm guessing he'll have a case of the barley farts later...

*shrug* if you are serving your dog 'BMC' dog food, odds are he's getting a fair amount of non-nutritional grain content in his diet anyway. A little more won't hurt him. Much of the national brand kibble sold is mostly low grade corn.

Incidentally, once we stopped serving our dog the cheap stuff I stopped having to scoop the crap in the yard-- their stools are low volume and degrade rather rapidly, especially after a rain or watering the lawn. The old 'corn logs' seemed to last for freaking ever.

I usually toss my steeping grains out in the yard. The dogs poke at it, the cat licks it and the birds divebomb them till they leave. (Incidentally the crows now avoid my yard after I lit a couple up with an airsoft gun as they tried feeding back there. I hate those noisy bastages)

Spent grains actually have a fairly high protein content and are commonly used as cattle feed. Golden Valley Brewery's owners feed the spent grain to their Angus to augment the grass and then serve the Angus at the Pub.

Back in Oakland, deer would actually hang around waiting for us to dump the tun.

Reminds me of the old Cheech and Chong routine:

Hey, what's in this s%#t, man?

Mostly Maui-wowie, man.

Yeah?

But it's got some Labrador in it.

What's Labrador?

It's dog s&*t.

What?

Yeah, my dog ate my stash, man.

Had it on the table, and the little motherf#@$r ate it, man.

Yeah?

I had to follow him around with a little baggie for three days before I got it back.

i dumped a bunch in my back yard after my first batch, and my dog ate it all pretty much lol she is still around so i guess its not totally bad for them!

:rockin:

i used to feed a little to both my dogs and mix it with wet food, but then one night we ran out of food and i just happend to be brewing ( and drinking) so i gave her all the grains from the pot and the next day when i was at work she yaked all over the floor! My wife was pissed......now no more john barlycorn for the dog :(

I have a composter in the back where I toss my grains when Im done with them but sometimes a few fall outside it and the dobermans just love it when that happens.

I think all dogs love grains...when I first started learning about brewing I came across this video, around 8:30 the "Hoovers" come in...Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I make the doggie treats ChshreCat linked to above, my Akita loves them and I have to say that they don't taste half bad to me either.

Back