Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is my daily beer intake unhealthy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
TheCookieMonster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is my daily beer intake unhealthy?

I know this sounds like a dumb question but I've become a bit health conscious.

I'm going to be given up a lot of processed foods and msg rich foods/restaurants and also giving up my fluoride enriched tap water and fluoride toothpaste. Also much of the Aspartame I intake (I use a LOT).

Home brew beer seems to be an all natural product actually that has some health benefits as we all know.

But is there any health concerns from drinking 1 Liter of 5% beer EACH DAY?

To me that doesn't sound like a lot, but to those who do not drink often they think it's crazy. To me it's nothing. Just 3 small bottles worth. I used to drink a lot more though.

I also no longer smoke either and will not smoke again.

So far I'm in good health, but I'm reaching that age where it's time to change my lifestyle around a bit and be more mindful of what I'm putting into my body for long term health.

I REALLY don't want to give up beer daily. I admit I drink 1L daily every day. It's part of my life routine and I like it. I love my beer and that's the one thing I don't want to give up. I want to be able to drink daily to unwind each night. Just 1L at 5% before dinner is all I ask.

How much would my health be suffering from this (if at all). Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Pivzavod
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ever hear of liquid dinner? I think you should be ok, I drink 1L+ every day of similar light beer (~5%).

Primary: 04/29 Pomegranate Nectarine Apfelwein, 05/23 Petite Saison
Secondary:
Kegs drinking: AHS Midnight Wheaten Stout 03/18 - 04/14 - 04/28,
Kegs conditioning: 01/29 - 04/29 Cranberry Apfelwein, 04/29-05/23 Petite Saison
RIP: 11/07-11/28-01/29-05/04-11/17 Flanders Brown Ale

Old 02-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
GraphBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd say it depends on the beer. If it is homebrew then I wouldn't be too concerned with the daily intake of the alcohol itself. However, that's a lot of unused calories at a time of day where you aren't going to put them to use. Excess calories - excercise = fat gain. This simple formula opens up pandoras box. Fat gain leads to stress on organs, most important the heart, and both fat and its resulting health problems lead to stress which in turn leads to easier fat gain and amplified health problems (once again, involving the heart most importantly). It's truly a never ending and vicious cycle.

If you perform daily exercise along with your daily intake of beer (because the above pertains to any excess calories, not just those from beer) you'd be much better off. Beer is very estrogenic too...which is bad for men and if you're at an age where your testosterone is lowering anyway I would probably be concious of that.

Cut that to a half liter and you'd probably be even more better off.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
stageseven
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Beer is kind of high in calories. For instance making a normal 5% beer in beersmith says that it's about 230 calories per pint. You just have to make sure you exercise enough to offset your caloric intake.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
GraphBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stageseven View Post
Beer is kind of high in calories. For instance making a normal 5% beer in beersmith says that it's about 230 calories per pint. You just have to make sure you exercise enough to offset your caloric intake.

Yeah...I spent too long typing. This guy nailed it in 30 seconds.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
TheCookieMonster
Recipes 

Wow am I the only one on the forum that drinks daily??

I calculated that my 5% beer should come in at about 400 calories for the 1L bottle. I usually drink the bottle of 2 hours or so. Then have dinner.

Would having a few beers like this a day put me in the category of a heavy drinker?

Old 02-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphBrew View Post
Yeah...I spent too long typing. This guy nailed it in 30 seconds.
lol, oh shi-

Would that make a 10% beer 460?
Bottled: Ó Flannagáin Standard, Random Stout, Nut Brown, Edwort's Rye IPA, Milk Stout + Coffee Milk Stout, Centennial Blonde, Pale Ale, Cthulhu Dementia Robust Porter, Nyarlathotep (I)IIPA, Willamette IPA parti-gyle, Indian Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, Barely Legal IIPA, Oatmeal Stout 2, Hazelnut Coffee Oatmeal Stout
Planned: RIS, Coconut Porter

Old 02-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just curious - why give up fluoride enriched tap water???? and toothpaste?

As far as the beer. It will not harm your body - actually help it - however - it will make you dumber (serious . not a joke) because alcohol kills brain cells and over time . . . .tick tick tick . . . . HOWEVER - research has shown (again - seriously) that smoking pot slows the alcohol brain cell kill . . .however then you have to worry about lungs!

So you might end up on an iron lung living a long life but a little dumber and with bad teeth.

I drink 12oz a day - more on weekends but never more then 36oz in a day of course this is 6% beer.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Many studies find that moderate drinkers actually have a lot of health benefits. I think that's like "2 beers" per day which is 8 oz. less than a liter assuming their 12 oz. beers and almost exactly a liter if they are pints.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I lean towards the thought that moderation is the key to a happy and healthy life. I believe that eating healthy, daily exercise and a couple of beers along w/ plenty of water is good for you.

OP, I'm not sure but I don't picture you as a 4'9" 90lb female, so 2 or 3 beers a day is moderate imo. A big part of being healthy is being happy. So naturally, you should drink a liter of beer a day if that makes you happy..

Quick Reply