Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My Brewing Can't Keep Up With Demand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
IncredibleMulk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My Brewing Can't Keep Up With Demand

I moved to NM from Dallas a little over a year and a half ago and was disappointed that I could not find anyone to brew with. My four tap kegerator was always full and I always had another brew ready to replace the ones going out.

After a year of brewing alone, I decided to be proactive and propagate this hobby to others in the area so I could have some brew buddies. I started visiting around and found 6 other folks in the area that really wanted to learn...so I taught them to brew and began having monthly brew days at my house...that was 6 months and 6 brew days ago and they have really taken off...to the tune of 30-40 people there each month (6-7 people actually brewing). This is awesome and a lot of fun...but my homebrew pipeline can't keep up!

After the first two...I told the other guys that were brewing that each one had to "donate" one of their batches each month on a revolving basis...that way I would at least get 5 additional gallons along with the 10 that I brew. Still, however...I keg 5 gallons of my house beer and the keg is gone in a WEEK. I love the camaraderie and we have lots of fun...but I sure do miss having full kegs all of the time.

Beer...It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Tap 1: Fizzy Whiz's Golden Showers
Tap 2: Fizzy Whiz's Golden Showers
Tap 3: Stout Blackula
Tap 4: Lederhosen Dropper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
FTG-05
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncredibleMulk View Post
I moved to NM from Dallas a little over a year and a half ago and was disappointed that I could not find anyone to brew with. My four tap kegerator was always full and I always had another brew ready to replace the ones going out.

After a year of brewing alone, I decided to be proactive and propagate this hobby to others in the area so I could have some brew buddies. I started visiting around and found 6 other folks in the area that really wanted to learn...so I taught them to brew and began having monthly brew days at my house...that was 6 months and 6 brew days ago and they have really taken off...to the tune of 30-40 people there each month (6-7 people actually brewing). This is awesome and a lot of fun...but my homebrew pipeline can't keep up!

After the first two...I told the other guys that were brewing that each one had to "donate" one of their batches each month on a revolving basis...that way I would at least get 5 additional gallons along with the 10 that I brew. Still, however...I keg 5 gallons of my house beer and the keg is gone in a WEEK. I love the camaraderie and we have lots of fun...but I sure do miss having full kegs all of the time.
I think I found your problem.

Good luck.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 275

Yeah, I'd encourage people to bring a few of their own bottles of homebrew to share or a sixer of some local beer or other craft beer. If you didn't bring any don't expect to try any.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
wiescins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

get a bigger kettle

Old 09-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

You've got a cool thing going on there, but your ratio of moochers-to-brewers is way too high. You've gotta make the entry fee a 6er or a case of (craft or homebrew) beer and get people drinking more of that than off your taps. Maybe make the taps a free for all for everyone brewing, but limit everyone else to one pull.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
BlackRock
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just keep it simple. Tell everyone to bring a good brew in for trade or cough up some dough. Then new people can just drop some cash while the brewers can leave a six pack and gain even more props for bringing another craft brew to try out.

You are already hosting what sounds to be a great day and should have either more beer in the fridge when they leave or cash in hand to make even more of your own.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
MuddyCreek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I have only started with the "brew party" thing and I have much smaller numbers. (Generally I'm brewing and some interested folks come over to watch, learn or just hang out.) Obviously it doesn't take too many people to kill your stock. And for some odd reason, people assume that home-brew is practically free and therefore they don't really need to compensate you for drinking yours.

I have recently begun telling people that they need to bring at least a 6'r of non BMC to the party for drinking/donating. Either they drink all their beer, or at least they leave me with something to throw in my kegerator until I can get the next couple of Corny's ready.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:15 AM   #8
IncredibleMulk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

They bring 6-12 packs of good beer with them (most do)...and there is usually some left over...but...it's still not my homebrew, which I like better. Anyway...you guys are right...it is a good thing that we have going...and I love the brew days, it's gonna just have to be something that I deal with. I moved to 10 gallon batches to try to keep up and it's helping...I just need to get some beer in kegs ready to replace my fallen soldiers.

Beer...It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Tap 1: Fizzy Whiz's Golden Showers
Tap 2: Fizzy Whiz's Golden Showers
Tap 3: Stout Blackula
Tap 4: Lederhosen Dropper

Old 09-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #9
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Dude, I think you need a couple brewing interns to help you increase output.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #10
chalmer9
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

How did you meet all these people?

Quick Reply