Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is my beer safe to drink?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #21
mtodd22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
I'd drink it. It's was diluted to a safe level with water, and then you further diluted it beer.
+1
Agreed. Fear no beer. Diluted star-san or not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #22
gbx
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Email 5star! they have awesome customer service and will get back to you. I've had star-san poisoning panic in the past. Here is the redacted response I got from star-san. Note the response time.

----- Forwarded Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 1, 2011 10:59:51 AM
Subject: RE: Star San and Copper safety?

GBX,

You will be fine. Yes, Star San will shine copper up nicely. It might have pulled some oxalate off of the copper. This will not harm you. The metallic odor could be many things. It is probably the star san cleaning the copper. This is not toxic.

Jon XXXXXXXX
Five Star

Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:42 PM
To: Support
Subject: Star San and Copper safety?

Hello,

Last night I was bottling some homebrew and I had a tub of star san for sanitizing bottles and hoses. While I was siphoning into the bottling bucket I left the copper hose connector from the spigot soaking in the star san for about 10 or 15 minutes. After I removed it from the star san it was a bright copper colour (like a shiny new penny). I then reassembled the bottling bucket spigot and proceeded to bottle, giving every bottle a quick star san rinse immediately before filling. When I was done I noticed the star san had a slight metallic odour and when cleaning up I noticed that the copper hose connector had the same odour (but much stronger) as did my hands after touching it. Did I leach copper or some other toxic compound into the star san? Did I then contaminate every bottle with the final rinse before bottling? I didn't notice any change in Star San colour but it could have been missed due to that suds. I've heard about yeast precipitating out metals, but this is a hefeweizen and we will be drinking the yeast. Should this be something I concern myself with (and dump the batch) or am I over reacting?

I appreciate any feedback you can give. Thanks,
GBX

Old 07-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #23
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I wouldn't expect 5-Star to tell you it's safe to drink, even if it is. Since it's not made for drinking, they probably won't want to claim it's safe to drink. Liability and all. Hopefully they'd be willing to share anecdotes though.

I'd be just as worried about what it did to the beer's taste.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #24
dlaramie08
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Star San doesn't need to be broken down to be yeast food. The phosphoric acid is a source of vital inorganic phosphate that all living things need to do the chemistry of life. Just by diluting it you make it yeast food.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #25
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2207 Times on 1923 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

It was my impression that "breaking it down" made it non acidic or something? So the acidic form is the nutrient? I loooked on five star's site & found this tech sheet. It contradicts all we've been told...unless it means these things happen in it's concentrated form?...here's the link to the tech sheet; http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-...ar-San-HB4.pdf

Old 07-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #26
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 325

I really think you're fine. There's plenty of phosphoric acid in sodas, and likely less in the beer you've diluted it in. Just taste it.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

IslandLizard Likes This 
Old 07-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #27
fosaisu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Another vote for "you're fine, drink up." You've just diluted some already diluted acid with 4.75 gallons of beer.

Quick Reply