Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is my beer safe to drink?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 976

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_hearted View Post
I just read thread from a guy who did the same (1/2 gal starsan solution in a 5 gal porter) and apparently scored a 38 with it in competition.
Is this the point where you split the batch for judging and enjoyable consumption?
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: 2.3'd | Sketchy Bastard | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #12
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 107

As long as it was diluted per the instructions (1 oz per 5g water) it'll be fine. Perfectly safe to consume at that strength, esp. Since it was only about a qt. In a 5g batch of beer. I seriously wouldn't worry about it.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
hou_me
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Find someone you don't like- maybe your boss- and give them a six pack. If they get sick then dump otherwise bottoms up!

Old 07-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #14
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 532 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Someone else might have a link or more attributable version of the story, but apparently some of the higher-ups at 5-star drank something like a 50% solution of it at a conference to demonstrate its safety.

I don't think there are any known health concerns, especially at the level you're describing...

Old 07-22-2013, 03:59 AM   #15
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwarbiany View Post
Someone else might have a link or more attributable version of the story, but apparently some of the higher-ups at 5-star drank something like a 50% solution of it at a conference to demonstrate its safety.

I don't think there are any known health concerns, especially at the level you're describing...
+1 there is a video (can't remember where) of the owner drinking a glass. I'd think about letting it sit a couple weeks to break down, and so the beer doesn't taste funny, but your safe as far as drinking it goes.

I did this once with about a pint left in my ferm bucket. I drained my chilled keggle right on top of it before I remembered it was still in there. It fermented fine, and tasted great. Never even lagged the start of the ferment.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 07-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #16
rcs226
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did a bunch of research last night, but couldn't really find 100% reliable evidence. Lots of information, but nothing I found was specifically from 5star. Mostly he/she said material. I did read that the threshold defined by the government for human consumption and to be considered a "no-rinse" solution was a 1oz per 3 gallon. Therefore operating at the specified dilution ratio of 1oz per 5 gallon was defined as safe, in moderation obviously. Not to mention, the small quantity I had was then diluted with an additional 5 gallons of beer. The more I read about it the less I think it is a problem.

It seems like many people have done this and have not had problems with taste or health. Unfortunately all the quantities I read about were less than my mishap.

I called 5star this morning, but there chemist is out until next Monday and whoever I was speaking too did not feel comfortable enough with the quantity to give me an answer. I'm not in too much a rush though, so no big deal.

In the mean time I did call my brother, a chemical engineer who regularly deals with different acids and said there is nothing to worry about at that level. I ran through the numbers too and it is a very very low percentage when you combine proper dilution ratio with 5 additional gallons of beer. However, I'd still like to hear it straight from the horses mouth.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #17
splattsmier
Burton Brewhouse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Let us know what you find out!! I'd like to know with certainty as well.

Untappd my homebrew: BurtonBrewhouse

MY CELLAR: http://www.cellarhq.com/cellar/ScottyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-Klubb View Post
"They can try to pry the mash paddle from my cold, dead hands."

Old 07-25-2013, 03:04 AM   #18
xgjdyjcvhu
Recipes 

Wow? How did you miss that much Star San?

Old 07-26-2013, 02:02 AM   #19
psubrewer
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Food grade sanitizer at that concentration?

I think you'll be aight. Beer might taste watered down though.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:00 AM   #20
ammymorcle
Recipes 

I think its safe to drink.

Quick Reply