Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My beer lacks in body

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
usmc-ferg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My beer lacks in body

Have a porter that is still in the carbonation process. It's done for the most part. I tried one and it seems it's to thin. I don't know how to explain it. Flavor has a slight alcohol taste but I spiced up the boil with sugar. So the longer it remains in the carbonations stage will it become more flavorful and bodied?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Let it finish carbonating before judging it. That being said, adding additional sugar tends to dry/thin out the beer.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc-ferg
Have a porter that is still in the carbonation process. It's done for the most part. I tried one and it seems it's to thin. I don't know how to explain it. Flavor has a slight alcohol taste but I spiced up the boil with sugar. So the longer it remains in the carbonations stage will it become more flavorful and bodied?
Give us the recipe and process details, not enough info other than sugar will thin and dry the beer but how much as well as all the other info?

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 07-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
basilchef
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The alcohol taste will dissipate over time. sugar does increase alcohol in final product. Lastly, im not 100% sure about porters but all my beers tend to get a maltier profile after long term aging and dont gain body. just my 2 cents. good luck -cheers

Old 07-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
usmc-ferg
Recipes 

I def think that you guys are spot on. The extra sugar must have thinned it out. And I does have that dry alcohol taste. But it's flavor is great. And I can tell the abc is up there haha.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 404 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 321

All grain? If so, Mash temps make a difference. When I want a beer that has a real full body and mouthfeel I add half pound of flaked oats, half pound of wheat and mash at 155. This almost always results in a real full feeling beer for me. Other malt choices could play a role too, as could yeast/fermentation temps.

Plus, as mentioned, the sugar would do some of it too.

Quick Reply