Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My Beer is Flat!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4263 Times on 3104 Posts
Likes Given: 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtHagenlocher View Post
I chill for at least 24 hours before opening. I understand that this may not be long enough for an optimal experience, but I find it hard to believe that it would make such a dramatic difference.
I agree.

But obviously something isn't working here. The only thing I can think of now is leaky caps. Do you have a soda bottle or two, to use for the next batch? That way you can screw the plastic soda caps on super tight and then squeeze the bottle every week to see if it's getting hard. There has to be a reason the beer is pretty flat, but if it's not leaky caps then I don't know what it could be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
ajbram
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When you taste the beer, does it taste right, or is it slightly sweet? I'm wondering if the sugar is actually being fermented or not.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
dfaridoni
Recipes 

also, is there any sediment at the bottom of the bottle?

Old 06-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #14
MisterTipsy
Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Shake a bottle and open it. Any more fizzy?

Old 06-30-2012, 03:43 AM   #15
eobie
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTipsy

immerse upright bottle in a bucket of water and check for bubbles
Or put a balloon over the neck of the bottle. If the balloon inflates then the cap is leaking.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
CurtHagenlocher
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The beer does not taste sweet and it does taste alcoholic and my FG has been roughly as expected.

As time has passed, the carbonation characteristics of these beers has improved pretty dramatically. Nearly every bottle of batches 1 and 4 that I opened in the first month (starting two weeks after bottling) were flat or nearly flat, while there were very few flat bottles of batch 1 after that point -- and none at all of batch 4. So for some reason, carbonation is just taking a lot of time.

Batch 5, alas, is still mostly flat -- despite having been bottled the day after batch 4. But at least I have reason to hope that it will improve just by letting it sit for a while.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #17
Minjin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 20

For a 5 gallon batch I used about 4.5 oz of corn sugar, boil about 2 cups of water let cool slightly and mix in sugar till completely dissolved.
Pour into my bucket and rack on top of the "syrup" usually have carbonation in 2 weeks but 3 weeks is optimum. Just my experience.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #18
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtHagenlocher View Post
The beer does not taste sweet and it does taste alcoholic and my FG has been roughly as expected.

As time has passed, the carbonation characteristics of these beers has improved pretty dramatically. Nearly every bottle of batches 1 and 4 that I opened in the first month (starting two weeks after bottling) were flat or nearly flat, while there were very few flat bottles of batch 1 after that point -- and none at all of batch 4. So for some reason, carbonation is just taking a lot of time.

Batch 5, alas, is still mostly flat -- despite having been bottled the day after batch 4. But at least I have reason to hope that it will improve just by letting it sit for a while.
carbonation always takes it's own time, and the MINIMUM time it tends to take for average grav beers is 3 weeks. That was the glaring thing in your first post. You were opening the bottles after only 2 weeks....2 weeks is not 3 weeks.

I've had beers take 6 months to carb up. It's all about gravity and the temp the beer is stored it, 3 weeks at 70 degrees is the minimum.

But it really is a foolproof process, you add sugar, the yeast eat it, and fart co2, which over a period of time carbontates the beer. But all beer if you added sugar will carb up eventually.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply