Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My beer carbs SLOWLY....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 04:30 AM   #1
Ultrazord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default My beer carbs SLOWLY....

I know carbonation can take 3+ weeks. I know the sites to determine priming sugar. I know most kits give you a bag of priming sugar. My question or comment....

I leave my beers at room temperature (65-78) and they take forever to carb. Like 3 months. And that isn't even high ABV beers. This is like lagers, cream ales, and a bock. Is there any trick to get them to carb faster besides kegging? It's really an issue with things like my DIPA that is losing its aroma quickly but not carbing...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrazord View Post
And that isn't even high ABV beers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrazord View Post
It's really an issue with things like my DIPA that is losing its aroma quickly but not carbing...
ERROR ERROR DIPA IMPLIES HIGH GRAV-I-TEEEEEE

Heh, that was fun. Too much homebrew

But some more info might help:

1) How long are you letting them sit before bottling?

2) Is there a secondary involved?

3) Do you use post-fermentation finings? Cold crash?

4) How are they at the 3-5 week stage? Are they straight up flat or are you making a common mistake of thinking head = carbonation? (No malice intended, just trying to elimate possibilities)

5) What's your favorite animal?

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 06-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
Ultrazord
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

.5) I agree too much home brew! And yeah the DIPA is really high ABV. Ironically they Belgian Cru I brewed carbed up best and is the highest ABV I've ever done.

1) At least 4 weeks, up to 8 weeks

2) Sometimes, but not usually. I secondaried the lager and the cream.

3) No post finings and no cold crash.

4) at the 3-5 week they have SOME carb, but nothing near what they have at 3 months. At 3 months it's the standard bubbly, nice head you'd expect so I imagine I'm using enough priming sugar.

5) Okapi.

Other notes....When I transport them in a cooler with ice packs, the carbonation seems better. Can a transport shaking up some of the CO2 actually help the feel of the beer?

Old 06-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 637

What do you mean by 65-78, that is a big swing. My 7% took at least 6 weeks to consistently carb in temps around 65-67, I ended up waiting around 8 weeks to be sure. Now that its summer, they are basically all carbed after 2 weeks.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Yeah everything else seems normal enough to me.... it might just be your big temp swing that's giving you trouble.

Also.... okapi? Nice. Good choice.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 06-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Getzinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

How much head space are you leaving in the bottle? I know that can change the carbonation levels/ time.
Also: What is your process for adding the sugar at bottling time?

And FWIW my favourite animal is the Axolotl

My spoon is TOO big.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You make the assumption that 1) Something's wrong and 2) That you're in charge of the process, just because the beer isn't ready when YOU think it should be.

Seriously, we all want our beer done NOW...But that is just not the case. Beer takes EXACTLY as long as it needs to carb and condition.

It's a natural, ORGANIC process, the are in charge and they take as long as they need to, to do the job, and not a moment sooner.

Some beers take 6 months to carb, that's really just the way it is.

It's a simple process, if you add sugar, the beer will carb. It's not rocket science. It just takes as long as it needs to.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzinator View Post
And FWIW my favourite animal is the Axolotl
In the mid-sixteenth century, Fray Bernardino de Sahagún in his great work General History of the Things of New Spain (The Florentine Codex) describes the importance that the Ambystoma species held for the original inhabitants of the México Valley before the Conquest. Sahagun's work relates the legend of how the Axolotl was originated; according to oral tradition, the god Xolotl, to prevent his death in the sacrifice, transformed himself into a corn plant and hid in the corn field, but was discovered. Again he escaped and became a double stalk of maguey (Agave). He was discovered again, and escaped into the water where the god became an Axolotl. However, the executioner of the sacrifices found and killed him.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
Getzinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
In the mid-sixteenth century, Fray Bernardino de Sahagún in his great work General History of the Things of New Spain (The Florentine Codex) describes the importance that the Ambystoma species held for the original inhabitants of the México Valley before the Conquest. Sahagun's work relates the legend of how the Axolotl was originated; according to oral tradition, the god Xolotl, to prevent his death in the sacrifice, transformed himself into a corn plant and hid in the corn field, but was discovered. Again he escaped and became a double stalk of maguey (Agave). He was discovered again, and escaped into the water where the god became an Axolotl. However, the executioner of the sacrifices found and killed him.
Cool story, bro. Not sarcastic, I didn't know that and it's pretty cool.

Also:

My spoon is TOO big.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You make the assumption that 1) Something's wrong and 2) That you're in charge of the process, just because the beer isn't ready when YOU think it should be.

Seriously, we all want our beer done NOW...But that is just not the case. Beer takes EXACTLY as long as it needs to carb and condition.

It's a natural, ORGANIC process, the are in charge and they take as long as they need to, to do the job, and not a moment sooner.

Some beers take 6 months to carb, that's really just the way it is.

It's a simple process, if you add sugar, the beer will carb. It's not rocket science. It just takes as long as it needs to.
You make it sound like nothing can be done to make the beers carbonate faster. The trappist breweries carbonate in the bottle within ~2 weeks. According to Brew Like a Monk, Westmalle Dubbel carbonates in 2 weeks at 70-73. The tripel takes 3 weeks. Granted, they dose with fresh yeast after centrifuging out most of the dead yeast. So, to the OP, you might consider fining to get most of the yeast out and then dosing with a smaller amount of fresh yeast, especially for your DIPA.

Quick Reply