Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My attempt to fine with gelatin didn't work?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
MVKTR2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default My attempt to fine with gelatin didn't work?

Per the very common instructions available in several threads throughout HBT I took 3/4 of 1 packet of clear/plain gelatin, put it in 1 cup cold water and let it bloom for about 30 minutes. I then heated the gelatin-water till all the gelatin was disolved.

I began my transfer of 4 gallons of cider to a secondary better bottle, pouring the gelatin mix into the secondary allowing the turbulance of the transfering cider to mix it.

The cider has been in my fridge for 7 days at approx 33 degrees.

The result is a cider which continues to be very cloudy and appears to not have changed at all! What gives? What do I need to do?

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
MVKTR2
Recipes 

How about that.
Apparently it is finally working. Just went and checked it (last checked before the sun was up yesterday AM) and there is a clear line of demarcation where the yeast is falling out. So other than now looking like a fool it's good news!

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 01-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
MVKTR2
Recipes 

hhjhh

Old 01-16-2013, 03:57 AM   #4
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2554 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 5748

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
How about that.
Apparently it is finally working. Just went and checked it (last checked before the sun was up yesterday AM) and there is a clear line of demarcation where the yeast is falling out. So other than now looking like a fool it's good news!
That could just be due to the effect of cold crashing. I would have left it out of the fridge for a few days to let the gelatin work its magic. Immediately putting it in the fridge makes it precipitate out before it can do that.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 01-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
Indytruks138
2 Punks Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 614

I always fine with gelatin in the keg after cold crashing. I only fine if the beer is not at the clarity I want after kegged and carbonated. If it is still too hazy I'll de-pressurize, open the keg, pour in the cup of gelatin mixture, give it 48 hours, pull off 2 super mucky dirty pints, and the rest will be clear. Works like a champ everytime I've tried.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I always thought you were supposed to use it after you cold crashed? Am I wrong in doing it like this? I've had fairly good results with this method. What I really need to work on is my patience. My kegs don't last long at all lol.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
MVKTR2
Recipes 

I checked 3 threads before doing this and they all said to chill then fine. For the record I had chilled this for about a week before adding the fining, hoping the chill would drop the yeast which was a hefe yeast. Additionally this was a cider not a beer so maybe that and the hefe yeast account for the long time it took for this to drop.

Quick Reply