Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My AG weekend is foiled! Rant inside...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
Willsellout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default My AG weekend is foiled! Rant inside...

So I placed an order with a certain online HBS a couple days ago and normally they ship fairly quickly, either same day or next day. Well it's been 2 days since I placed the order so I called them and I'm 10th in line to have my stuff made and shipped so it might not ship out until tomorrow. They said they were short on people and training so things were running slower than normal. This normally wouldn't be a big deal but I have been waiting to do my first AG and I even took time off of work to setup my brewery and allow for time to brew and cleanup etc....I can't tell you how much I was looking forward to brewing this weekend so I found a local (sort of) place about 2 hours away. I placed an order for an weizen extract kit with steeping grains because I had to brew this weekend. So the upside is that I will have a anice weizen to drink, the downside is once my grains arrive from the other place I will have to wait a couple weeks to actually brew.
Now that I know about this local place, they are getting my business, I can't handle the lag time with these out of state HBS's. Hopefully this kit turns out good, it sounded decent with about 5 lbs DME and a pound of wheat malt for steeping. I think I am going to try some lemongrass in this recipe too.
Sorry for the rant, I was just pretty pissed that I wasn't going to be able to do my AG this weekend.

Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

That sucks. I placed an order with an online company on Sunday evening, and usually I get an email the next day with a tracking number for my shipment. Nothing from them yet- maybe the same company?

Anyway, at least you're brewing something. Dumb question, though- when you ordered the weizen kit, couldn't you have ordered an AG kit from them? Regardless, I'm sorry for the disappointment. My first AG was such a blast and well worth waiting for and I know yours will be too.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

you could walk on the wild side and do it mid week.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #4
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You don't mention which online HBS it is, so I can't comment on that. I have had extremely fast results from Northern Brewer. Now, I live relatively close to them (about 370 miles away), but even so, they get things here so fast using regular UPS ground that I sometimes think that someone is running over to UPS with my order before the credit card has even been approved. I suspect that if you pay a little extra to get it out to Oregon fast, they will be just as good for you there as they are here.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
Willsellout

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Chick
That sucks. I placed an order with an online company on Sunday evening, and usually I get an email the next day with a tracking number for my shipment. Nothing from them yet- maybe the same company?

Anyway, at least you're brewing something. Dumb question, though- when you ordered the weizen kit, couldn't you have ordered an AG kit from them? Regardless, I'm sorry for the disappointment. My first AG was such a blast and well worth waiting for and I know yours will be too.
It wouldn't surprise if it was the same place but my intention wasn't to badmouth anyone, just to rant.
I could have ordered grains from the local place, but I didn't have any idea for recipes so I figured I'd stick to what I know, which is extract with steeping. Although this kit uses DME, which I've never used before.

As far as brewing midweek, I would love to but we have a new baby in the house and when I get home from work I have a whole nother set of things to do. Although once I set up my brewery this weekend, hopefully it will streamline my whole process and allow me to brew in less time.

Dan
Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

Old 03-21-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
Willsellout

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmditter
You don't mention which online HBS it is, so I can't comment on that. I have had extremely fast results from Northern Brewer. Now, I live relatively close to them (about 370 miles away), but even so, they get things here so fast using regular UPS ground that I sometimes think that someone is running over to UPS with my order before the credit card has even been approved. I suspect that if you pay a little extra to get it out to Oregon fast, they will be just as good for you there as they are here.
Yeah I ordered something from them a couple days ago and it was out the same day. They have great service, and normally my "go-to" HBS does as well, it's just bad timing for me

Dan
Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

Old 03-21-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsellout
It wouldn't surprise if it was the same place but my intention wasn't to badmouth anyone, just to rant.
I could have ordered grains from the local place, but I didn't have any idea for recipes so I figured I'd stick to what I know, which is extract with steeping. Although this kit uses DME, which I've never used before.

As far as brewing midweek, I would love to but we have a new baby in the house and when I get home from work I have a whole nother set of things to do. Although once I set up my brewery this weekend, hopefully it will streamline my whole process and allow me to brew in less time.

Dan
Dan, I know you weren't bad-mouthing any company, and I didn't take it that way. I don't care when my stuff comes, because it's not a time issue at all for me. I just meant that it's unusual that my order doesn't seemed to have been processed by them yet- usually it's super quick.

Using the DME is even easier than LME I think. It might clump a bit at first, just keep stirring and it will dissolve.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:39 PM   #8
Willsellout

Recipes 

Yeah sorry if I came of as a bit of a prick on that last post. I just didn't want to do any kind of badmouthing of businesses that support homebrewing and really it's not a big deal, it's just I was planning on it and had my heart set on it. I should have ordered it last week but I kind of let it sit on the back burner. Oh well now I will have two brews (IPA, Weizen) as well as Ed's Apfelwein going on.

Dan

Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

Old 03-21-2007, 07:11 PM   #9
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 592 Times on 348 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I've had great luck with Midwest. (My Saturday night order for this weekends AG batch is sitting on my front doorstep).

I always put instructions in the order to please call my cell phone if there is any issue with shipping by XX date. Last time they did have an issue... they were out of the specific (Wyeast) yeast I wanted. They called and asked what I wanted to do. I asked for a White Labs substitute and knowing it was a few $$'s extra, I asked how they wanted me to handle the difference...

"No problem" they said..."Just place your next order with us..."

Stuff was here two days later...just in time.

TIP: I always try to add a few extra things I need to my recipe order, up until the shipping charges go up. I mean c'mon, while you're at it, I could use three more fermentation locks, couple bags of hops and 6 feet of gas hose...great price, no tax and the shipping doesn't go up.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 03-21-2007, 07:26 PM   #10
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm just a lucky EAC living here in Austin. If I need something, I make a drive to Austin Home Brew and pick it up. Lately, I've been stocking up on base grains, some small amounts of specialty grain, standard hops, & dry yeasts to back up my liquid propagation yeast farm. I want to be able to brew at the drop of of a hat when SWMBO says BREW!

I started my Stone IPA Clone last night around 7 PM and was finished around 12:30 AM this morning. I was kinda cool outside at night. Quiet, everyone in bed, just me and the smell of beer brewing. Ahhhh. Life is good.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Quick Reply