My 2 litre keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry08

Reaction score
Well I have been happily brewing and have been experimenting with my small keg which is basicly made from a thick skinned water sprayer.

I am looking for a schroder valve to use. I condition with about 15% more carbonating sugar to start the beer expressing but need a boost for the last half litre or so. I will use an ordinary bike pump. I know oxidisation.

2 litres means just under 3 long necks and as I intend these kegs for parties BBQ's etc they empty fast. They are stored primed.

I am about to make a holder that will turn it into a sort of beer dispenser.

I did consider a full 3 beer type kegging system. bought a fridge and saved up the $500 necessary for a basic settup but as I like my amber fluid a bit too much I have resisted that step.

I did try using stubbies but I am going back to my 750ml long necks. I get 30 per brew which sadly lasts a fortnight. Over the 30 years or so I have been making beer I shudder just how much I have consumed.

I only use kits but recently have added a cup of corn syrup and a infused 50grms of a suitable grain to suit the beer type. This has improved head retention no end. Funnily when I first used the sprayer modified to flow and pressurised it to dispense, the head was terrific. I believe due to the nitrogen in the air. 2 litres does not get a chance to oxidise.

I also have adopted the transfer of beer into a secondary and if that does not oxidise beer nothing will. I do not bulk prime, another chance for air to contaminate. I am starting to believe this oxidisation is a bit of a myth. I do not use air traps as I believe CO2 being heavier than air creates a buffer otherwise no one could bulk prime and have beer last for years as mine do.

Seeing that Australia day is comming up I shall have two bottles of a dark ale (Toohey's) I bottled in April 08. I had a bottle 6 months ago and it was delectable.

I am no expert, all I go on is the results I achieve and the acceptance of my friends. At a party my beer goes first I seldum get any but have my convictions upheld by sampling the latest hop flavoured commercial offerings.

I did over Christmas get to try a Belgium beer that was rather tasty.

To complete my ramblings I tried a Tooheys 5 Seed which is a new cider type. I may attempt to brew a batch.

If anyone is interested in how I made the mini keg let me know I will post a picture.

Anyway happy brewing its all in a good cause

Back