Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Musty/Dirt/Earthy Aftertaste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Well, I am pleased to hear that it is likely a result of the hops, and we all know that hop flavors fade with time. I am going to give them another week or so to continue to carb up and then store them at 60 to mellow for a while. The beer is going to be great if I can get that crappy flavor at the finish to fade. I sure hope it will. I think it is the Argentine Cascade addition at 30 that likely did it. Maybe stick to aroma for these hops!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 03:38 AM   #12
permo
Recipes 

Now after two weeks in the bottle I tried one tonight, I cracked one open at 70 degree ambient temp, smell was nice....smelled like malt/bread/grain, the beer is still a little sharply bittered and the herbal/earthy/musty flavor is fading, it is still evident for sure but not as focused. The beer is carbed up, I am considering now moving this to my garage to "lager" or whatever you want to call it, for a month or so. It would be soooo smooth!

Like I could wait a month.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:42 AM   #13
Chuck_Swillery
Recipes 

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.

Will run for beer...

Old 03-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #14
IPA4ME
Recipes 

The musty/earthy flavor is fading in my beer too. It has to be the hops. Only problem for me is, I am using Centennial hops. IMO, they are not supposed to have that flavor.

I agree with you, put those brews in a cold place and they'll turn out alright. I know I am moving my brews to the fridge. Let those hop particles settle to the bottom of the bottle.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:01 AM   #15
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

you're only a couple weeks in the bottle. you could very well just be tasting yeast. yeasty beer taste (to me) exactly as you describe; earthy, musty, and dirty.

Give that young beer time to grow up. The yeast will settle and the beer will change dramatically.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:10 AM   #16
400d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the same thing, but my beer was just fine in first 4 weeks after bottling. It went through a normal stages from green beer after one week to tasty drinkable beer after four weeks, but when I tried it after six weeks I had the same thing! Dirt aftertaste that is awful...

This is the first beer that I dry hopped, I used 2 oz of target hops (not so on the aroma side)...

I think this might be a problem, but maybe not....

Old 03-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #17
permo
Recipes 

I am almost %100 positive that this is from my 30 minute 1oz addition of argentine cascade....I am going to use this one for aroma only from here on out.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #18
permo
Recipes 

update:

I brewed up a belgian tripel on Saturday and I used 1 oz argentine cascade for the flameout addition. As soon as the hops hit the wort I smelled "THE SMELL"! Without question this taste came from hops, it is not oxidation or an infection...it is the earthy/pungency of the hops. this makes me happy..it should fade over time and I should be left with a nice beverage...even if it takes a few months.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #19
400d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
update:

I brewed up a belgian tripel on Saturday and I used 1 oz argentine cascade for the flameout addition. As soon as the hops hit the wort I smelled "THE SMELL"! Without question this taste came from hops, it is not oxidation or an infection...it is the earthy/pungency of the hops. this makes me happy..it should fade over time and I should be left with a nice beverage...even if it takes a few months.
I have opposite situation. My beer was just fine for 5 weeks, but after 6th week it got this dirt after taste. I dry hopped with target, and I'm 100% sure the taste comes from dry hopping.

The mystery is how come this ugly after taste became prominent after 6 weeks. First 5 weeks after bottling it wasn't there, not a trace of it!

Old 03-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #20
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400d View Post
I have opposite situation. My beer was just fine for 5 weeks, but after 6th week it got this dirt after taste. I dry hopped with target, and I'm 100% sure the taste comes from dry hopping.

The mystery is how come this ugly after taste became prominent after 6 weeks. First 5 weeks after bottling it wasn't there, not a trace of it!
It is so wierd how tastes of hops develop and change over time. I have a series of beers that I used summit hops in. I thought that they were ruined, as they all tasted like onions right away. So I stashed them and forgot about them. After about 2 months I cracked one and the onion was gone and it was beautifull tangerine!

So the best advice, if you are unpleased with your beer, is to just wait it out...it will change! Usually for the better.

Quick Reply