Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > MUST stops for beer near Sacramento?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
BmillaTheBrewzilla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default MUST stops for beer near Sacramento?

My (very awesome) SWMBO got me a great present for my 30th birthday. She booked a trip to California to do some beer tasting. We fly into Sacramento, stay one night there, drive to Chico, stay one night there, then back to Sacramento for another night before flying back to Chicago.

Obviously while in Chico we're going to hit up Sierra Nevada. Where else should we stop while we're in Sacramento and anywhere else near or between Sacramento and Chico?? I've never been north of LA in California- so it's all new to me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
schaefer916
Recipes 

I would recommend hitting up Rubicon Brewing Co. for sure.
Good stuff there. Also, River CIty Brewing Co. at the Downtown Mall.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
Hex
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Welcome to Sac-o-tomatoes!

My favorite pub is the Bonn Lair in East Sac.

And I've heard great things about http://www.jackrussellbrewing.com but have never made the 1+ hour drive to find out.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
armageddon
Recipes 

Hit up Samuel Horne's tavern in Folsom for a great tap and bottle selection. If you take one of your nights and hit up the bay area (including Marin county), there is more good beer than you could possibly try in the time that you have.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
gregger
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Jack Russell is GREAT, not good this time of year though. You wanna go when Apple hill is alive and kicking in the fall, or summer when they cook outside and have live music. In the fall, the wineries are open for tasting, outdoor shops are alive, and apple pies and apple treats as far as the eye can see!

Most of the other places around here can be found across the country, like budweiser, gordon beirsch, etc. though there are some nice breweries which may be a little out of your way: Mendocino Brewing Company (Ukiah), Blue Frog (Fairfield).

Hit up Hoppy's Brewing, and Brew It Up (also good for a good bite to eat - just disregard the sometimes crappy service). There are alot of other smaller places around here as well.

It's cool you're coming to this area, bad time of year though, hopefully you're heading out here in between spring and summer, or fall, that's when the California weather REALLY makes outsiders jealous. My wife and I LOVE Chicago, we honeymooned there 5 years ago, and will be going back very soon hopefully.

My question is, of all places, why choose Chico and Sac? If you're here on the weekend, let me know, you can come see yours truly at a local improv comedy club, two tickets for you on me.

Bottled: Oat Red Ale, Peach Wheat, Strawberry Dirty Blonde Ale, Brown Sugar IPA

In line: Cucumber Summer Blonde, Kona Pipeline Porter Clone, Bacon Porter

The best yet: St. Nick's Dirty Stout (Vanilla Gingerbread Stout) - guessed at the recipe when boiling, didn't write anything down... DAMN.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
gak27
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'll offer up a +1 for Rubicon -- really good beer, great atmosphere, sidewalk tables in a great neighborhood, and who can argue with a beer named "Monkey Knife Fight"?

Upcoming: ---
Primary:
---
Secondary:---
Bottled:
Kolsch all-grain (3 gal)
Partial mash Red IPA (5 gal)
Bell's Two-Hearted inspired partial mash (5 gal)

Old 03-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
vinyl_key
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you can manage a drive to Santa Rosa, you could check out Russian River. It's about 2 hours from sac.

Weird thing is I grew up in Folsom, but I don't know too much in terms of beer offerings here since I moved away for college before I could (legally) drink. When I come back to visit, I have no idea where to go!

Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
jtakacs
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

2 hours away and u can have russian river, lagunitas and bear republic in addition to several others.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
Sacdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Go to "The Grad" (Graduate) in Davis. They have about 100 beers on tap. Jack Russell is good, but a long drive and the weather is going to be cold. Rubicon is okay. I like their Stout. I think Monkey Knife Fight is mediocre.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
Hex
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The only other suggestion I have is The Owl in old Roseville. It is the ONLY place that I know of that has Pliney in bottles and on tap. They often have Sculpin on tap as well.

We're really not a 'beer' town, just lots of corner bars and hard alcohol.

Quick Reply