Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Must fight the urge to be a beer snob....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
winenewb172
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Must fight the urge to be a beer snob....

I'm. At the local brew pub and the guy next to me orders a miller light, wtf? But I don't try to educate him cuz he is intent on it's the only beer with triple hops in it. Lol. I'm also finding myself wanting to ask my server about malto dextrin and stuff I'm sure she has no idea

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 19

At least he's not drinking a Grasshopper. It's in the right family.

Lee Bussy
Bad decisions make good stories.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 359 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Hey, thousands of people this weekend are going to be flipping burgers 20 times, squeezing all the fat out with the spatula, and serving a dried out puck of meat. Then drink it along with their BMC Light.

Doesn't make it delicious. It isn't snobbery, it's education.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

People Like This 
Old 05-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #4
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclman View Post
Hey, thousands of people this weekend are going to be flipping burgers 20 times, squeezing all the fat out with the spatula, and serving a dried out puck of meat. Then drink it along with their BMC Light.

I agree, the thing that makes it snobby is being a condescending douche. Enlightening someone is not snobby. As far as the server thing I find myself happiest drinking at my fave craft bar where the bartenders are well educated on these things.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 1732 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclman

Oh, that reminds me of the worst burger cook I ever saw. He's actually a friend of mine, but not someone who makes good food. But somehow he was in charge of cooking for a large group. He had bags of frozen burger patties that he just opened and plopped the patties right on the grill. And bonus, he had the grill way too hot so it insured the outside was just shy of leathery charcoal by the time the inside was no longer raw after being flipped about a dozen times and pressed into the grill to make sure there was no trace of moisture left inside. So, so very bad.

Long story short, Beer.

catdaddy66 Likes This 
Old 05-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #6
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

You can try to fight it, but it wont last long.

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 05-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #7
Brewbien
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I'm going to offer a different opinion, keep in mind that it is just my opinion. BMC are all well made beers, just because you don't like them or think the beer tastes good doesn't change that fact. They are businesses and they cater to what most people look for when they want a beer, that's why they have 90+% market share. With the equipment they have they could make any style of beer more consistent and stylistically correct than any microbrewery. Ask Mitch Steele of Stone who worked for Anheuser Busch for years. I personally think it is snobbery to think less of someone because you tried to share something that you are interested in and they are not (I'm guilty of this myself, but I try to change my own thinking when I make myself aware of it). With that being said, with the exception of day drinking on a hot summer day, I don't really touch BMC either. Too much good craft beer and homebrew to drink. Just wanted to offer a differing opinion.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Yes, fight the urge!!!!!

The most irritating person in the universe is any snob on any subject.

Whether it's beer, food, wine, medical care, cars, motorcycles, travel, etc- everybody hates a snob. They aren't respected- they are laughed at behind their back. Beer snobs give ALL beer lovers a bad name, as pretentious asses. Let's not be that way!

I love beer as much as any other beer geek, but I would never denigrate someone else's choice.

Same with travel. I don't want to hear that "Tanzania is so last year", or that "Ecuador is sooooo overdone".

Snobs come across as pretentious and ignorant, and I can't stand that!

People Like This 
Old 05-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #9
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewbien View Post
I'm going to offer a different opinion, keep in mind that it is just my opinion. BMC are all well made beers, just because you don't like them or think the beer tastes good doesn't change that fact. They are businesses and they cater to what most people look for when they want a beer, that's why they have 90+% market share. With the equipment they have they could make any style of beer more consistent and stylistically correct than any microbrewery. Ask Mitch Steele of Stone who worked for Anheuser Busch for years. I personally think it is snobbery to think less of someone because you tried to share something that you are interested in and they are not (I'm guilty of this myself, but I try to change my own thinking when I make myself aware of it). With that being said, with the exception of day drinking on a hot summer day, I don't really touch BMC either. Too much good craft beer and homebrew to drink. Just wanted to offer a differing opinion.
I dont think he was saying the guy is terrible for drinking BMC, its that the guy was going on about how Miler Lite was the only triple hopped beer.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:36 AM   #10
jarhody
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

No need to fight it...beer snob and proud of it! I only wish I became a snob earlier in life!

Quick Reply