New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Munton's CarbTabs Are Horrible - DO NOT EVER BUY THEM! (a fellow home brewer's rant)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I vote operator error (in other words impatience).....For all the folks online who complain about them....
I'm gonna have to agree. For the rare occasion I've bottled a few beers on a batch I've used both Coopers Carb Drops and Muntons Carb Tabs. Both worked perfectly fine if I left the beer in the closet to condition for a month...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have used carb tabs of various producers for many, many batches. The product works as advertised. Your problem and other problems is not due to a fault of the product. I suppose you could have purchased a faulty batch or something, but more than likely it was operator error. Sorry dude.

Perhaps you should attempt to find the reason your beer didn't carb after your first attempt. You may have infection or myriad other problems that would have given you these problems.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
Scruffy1207
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter
I have used carb tabs of various producers for many, many batches. The product works as advertised. Your problem and other problems is not due to a fault of the product. I suppose you could have purchased a faulty batch or something, but more than likely it was operator error. Sorry dude.

Perhaps you should attempt to find the reason your beer didn't carb after your first attempt. You may have infection or myriad other problems that would have given you these problems.
+1, tbh this is the first I've heard of this problem. I wouldn't imagine a company that produces a product that ruins your beer would last very long. Though I could be wrong, but I'm probably not.

Maybe if your boil kettle was a sheet pan, and your heat source was satan's a**hole, then you could possibly boil off 60 percent of your batch in an hour.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
NateLTB
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
"Unreliable carbonation" what does that mean? Usually it means "I didn't wait long enough to let the beer carb after I added whatever form of fermentable I was carbing with, because the process of carbing is foolproof, you add sugar and the yeast eats it, and farts co2....In time." So if it's "unreliable" it usually means "I'm in patient." Because all beers carb eventually, though they may not carb at the same rate, because every bottle is a seperate little fermenter, and they're going to all be affected by the environment, so slightly warmer bottle, maybe closer to the nearest heat vent will carb a tad faster than it's neighbor... But they all will usually carb within 3-6 weeks when above 70...

And most folks know, that carb tabs take longer for the yeast to break down, since it's not a nice little liquid like bottle primers add. So they know to factor in a couple MORE weeks....if you have chunks, floating, that's a good indication it ain't done, and you should even bother opening them till all that is dissolved or settles into the sediment layer.

I vote operator error (in other words impatience).....For all the folks online who complain about them....

I'm still new around here and have never used carb tabs but I think I'd trust the guy with over 34,000 posts... Just a thought.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
Soma
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvy View Post
i vote operator error (in other words impatience)
+1

Old 02-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #16
mthelm85
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Again, just do a Google search and you all will see that there are a lot of people who have experienced the same problem. My case is not an isolated one. The reason the beer didn't carb to begin with was because I attempted to prime with candi syrup and racked 45 degree beer on top of it without stirring. I normally just boil water and corn sugar and don't have to mix because it's a watery solution. The syrup sat at the bottom of the bucket and the last beers in the line got plenty and didn't need the carb tabs. They are all beautifully clear.

The CarbTabs didn't affect the flavor; the beer tastes fantastic. The effect of the CarbTabs was purely cosmetic. If you're like me, the first thing you do with your glass of beer is hold it up to the light and check out the color and clarity. That's important to me and these CarbTabs completely ruined the visual appeal of the beer.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #17
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've used coopers drops and have been relatively happy except that I've had a few that seem to be more carbonated than others. From each batch I keg, I take a 6 pack and bottle it with carb drops and store it away. I opened up two different batches and they were severely overcarbed. One was a stout and the other was a German altbier. The only other thing I can attribute it to would be not chilling it long enough. I put them into the fridge for 2 days to chill, but I can't imaging that would be the reason for the eruptions and overcarbonation?

Old 02-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #18
MoPhunk
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

I hate carb tabs but for an entirely different reason.

Who wants to put tabs in 60 bottles when corn sugar plus water plus time works like a charm?

Old 02-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #19
Bradinator
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I tried carb tabs once before and found that they did not work for me. They did dissolve after about 4 weeks, but left a film of DME on the bottom of my bottles and provided very little, if any carbonation.

Not sure why they did not work, maybe something I did (I was under the impression I just added several drops to the beer and wait. Maybe I needed to pray to the Beer Gods and sacrifice a small goat...)? Either way I went back to good ol' reliable dextrose after that.

"There is only two ways do to something; The smart way or the hard way."

"Beer is pretty resilient stuff, its resistant to human stupidity"

Bradinator's Brews

Old 02-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3875 Times on 2830 Posts
Likes Given: 648

I've only used them a couple of times, like when I was kegging and wanted to just bottle about 6 when I racked to the keg. They worked ok. I liked them better than the Cooper's Drops.

Quick Reply