Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Mulling spices in secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 02:53 AM   #1
McDingleberry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mulling spices in secondary?

I just got done brewing NB's extract Winter Warmer. I want to add some holiday type of spice to the beer, so I was thinking of going with a 0.5 ounce pack of mulling spices. I have only seen them used in the end of the boil though, so I'm not sure if they will add much flavor when used in the secondary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2011, 03:09 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1382 Times on 1116 Posts

I'd hold off adding the spices until fermentation is complete, lest the scrubbing bubbles have their way with it. When you're about to bottle or keg, at that point I would draw off a cup or so of the brew, simmer the mulling spices in it for 15 minutes or so, then chill it and mix it back into the brew. That will extract a lot of the goodness...

Cheers!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wouldnt use the prepackaged mulling spices at all - we tried it a couple months ago in a simple ale recipe. Smelled great in the boil, smelled great in secondary, turns out that the cinnamon overpowered everything else. Hoping some extended aging fixes it, but not holding out much hope.

Primary: Innkeeper
Secondary: Dawson's Kriek, Wee Heavy
Bottled: Spiced Holiday Ale,
Drinking: Moose Drool Clone, Irish Red, Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter, Milk Stout, NB Innkeeper Kit (West Yorkshire), NB Mild Ale (West Yorkshire), American Wheat
Planning: Irish Red, Patersbier,

Old 11-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
McDingleberry
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taypo View Post
I wouldnt use the prepackaged mulling spices at all - we tried it a couple months ago in a simple ale recipe. Smelled great in the boil, smelled great in secondary, turns out that the cinnamon overpowered everything else. Hoping some extended aging fixes it, but not holding out much hope.
Hmm. Maybe I will just make my own spice blend and steep it in some vodka, then make a couple of test glasses to figure out the ratio.

Quick Reply