Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Mr Tea

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
sieglere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Mr Tea

So I'm a tea guy. I have a large tea collection that is in the region of 15 to 20 varieties (most loose) and a green brewer. My first batchs (a 5 gal Honey Red Ale and a 2 gal Green Tea Honey Wheat) has been bottled and is carbonating so we'll see how those turn out soon enough. I've already successfully combined tea with vodka (with devastatingly fantastic effects) and I'd like to bring the full collection to beers.

After doing some light beer related reading while waiting on my little yeasts to do their magic, I know that bittering hops don't add much flavor and to get hoppy flavor, you have to add it at the end or dry hop during fermentation. I have never boiled tea for an hour so I don't know if it will also boil out or how that would go. Some teas do get bitter if you steep them too long, so it might be a cool bittering agent. I was wondering if you guys had any experience using tea in beer and I'd also like to bounce a few brew ideas off you guys (and get some suggestions as well).

So far, I think a lot of teas would go well with wheat beers but I think cool beers would be a Chi Stout, a Hojicha or Genmaichi Brown Ale (Hojicha is a roasted Japaneese green tea that has a very earthy almost burnt grass-like aroma while Genmaichi is a mixture of green tea (also Japaneese) and puffed brown rice that smells similar to popcorn), and perhaps a black tea with an ale of some sort.

So thoughts? Tips? Experience (and stories/pictures)? Funny jokes?

P.S. as soon as my green tea honey wheat is done conditioning, I'll be sure to share the results with you guys

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Cool story. Tea brewing is in a related area down below on the main page called: Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum... Here is a link. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f167/

Admittedly I do not know if that covers beer/tea I only enjoy Super Irish Breakfast tea by Stash. That stuff is like pure caffeine.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
sieglere
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial
Cool story. Tea brewing is in a related area down below on the main page called: Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum... Here is a link. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f167/

A dmittedly I do not know if that covers beer/tea I only enjoy Super Irish Breakfast tea by Stash. That stuff is like pure caffeine.
What would kombucha be? And thanks, I'll be sure to repost there

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS