Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Mr. Beer Goes Horribly Wrong Part 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
Premnasbiaculeatus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Mr. Beer Goes Horribly Wrong Part 2

In case anyone ever wondered what happened to this guy...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
AndrewD
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 32 Posts

That's hilarious. I guess it is proof that Mr. Beer is a gateway into real homebrewing for some people. In 15 months, He went from drinking PBR and Bud Lite to BIAB partial mashing a Pale Ale.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
mrwizard0
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Did he really only use 1 smack pack for a 15 gallon batch?!?!?! And I thought I was under pitching when I used 1 for my 5 gallon batch.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
Premnasbiaculeatus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwizard0 View Post
Did he really only use 1 smack pack for a 15 gallon batch?!?!?! And I thought I was under pitching when I used 1 for my 5 gallon batch.
One smack pack has 1.2 x 109 cells per ml, it was more than adequate for a beer with lower OG.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
CS223
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD View Post
I guess it is proof that Mr. Beer is a gateway into real homebrewing for some people. In 15 months, He went from drinking PBR and Bud Lite to BIAB partial mashing a Pale Ale.
It was for me, I went from 2 Mr. Beer extract batches to a electric brewery, corney kegs, first name basis with the LHBS, the whole 9 yards except it only took about 3 months for me. Still use the Mr. Beer, I collect & save all the trub & the left overs that don't fit in the kegs, the gravity samples, let it settle out in the fridge, mix it all together, reheat it & dump it in the Mr. Beer and ferment it. Why waste it

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
Premnasbiaculeatus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS223 View Post
It was for me, I went from 2 Mr. Beer extract batches to a electric brewery, corney kegs, first name basis with the LHBS, the whole 9 yards except it only took about 3 months for me. Still use the Mr. Beer, I collect & save all the trub & the left overs that don't fit in the kegs, the gravity samples, let it settle out in the fridge, mix it all together, reheat it & dump it in the Mr. Beer and ferment it. Why waste it
I will never knock the Mr. Beer system, it is the best gateway into brewing. I was kegging within about a month and putting 5 gallon coopers kits into corneys, but I continued to brew several more Mr. beer kits. But at the same time I was still doing partial mashes on a five gallon scale. It took me well over a year to attempt 15 gallons, and I'm still conflicted about whether or not I want to do all grain. One things for sure at this point however, I'm now a brewer for life.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2549 Times on 1500 Posts
Likes Given: 5728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premnasbiaculeatus View Post
One smack pack has 1.2 x 109 cells per ml, it was more than adequate for a beer with lower OG.
That only comes out to 1.50E11 cells in total, which is way way under what you would need to fermement a 15 gallon batch. According to yeastcalc.com the highest gravity you could ferment with a 15 gallon batch and one smack pack is 1.014 and that's assuming 100% viability of the yeast.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 09-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
Premnasbiaculeatus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer View Post
That only comes out to 1.50E11 cells in total, which is way way under what you would need to fermement a 15 gallon batch. According to yeastcalc.com the highest gravity you could ferment with a 15 gallon batch and one smack pack is 1.014 and that's assuming 100% viability of the yeast.
Well, it turned out fine flavor wise. The primary lasted about 16 days which was the only downside. When I made this as a five gallon batch, primary was finished afer four (with the same pitch of 1 smack pack). I don't taste any diacetyl or any other of flavors. All and all a very decent Pale ale flavor profile. I don't think under pitching is as big of an issue as people make it out to be.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Your filter is ingenious! I have the funnel screeb filter insert which i HATE because it clogs so easy(currently i use a hop spider/paint strainer bag, rack into a sanitized 5gal paint strainer bag in my bottling bucket, then pour the filtered wort through the screen funnel filter, a real pita).

Question 1: did you buy an AC filter and remove the media or can i buy just the poly media from home depot in a roll and sanitize the cut piece?

Question 2: do you wash and reuse the media or does it get tossed?

The brew/biab boil looks good, glad to see you've stuck with it. I was an under pitcher as well until recently i built myself a ghetto stir plate and started washing and harvesting yeast. I like your fermenter, the local brew-on-premises uses the exact same casks, but to save cleaning time they insert a plastic bag in the cask which works for them i guess.

I couldn't see the color of the finished beer very well but that might be my stupid droid and not the lighting.

Thanks man.

Bottled&Drinking: Founders All Day IPA Clone, Centennial blonde, Vienna Hefeweizen, Belgian wit, blizzard imperial IPA,
Conditioning: hard local cider
Primary: more local hard cider!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 09-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
Yesfan

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Wow, glad to see that guy bounce back, and in just under a year too!

Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Quick Reply