Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Mr beer American Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
a_chuhran
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mr beer American Ale

I am new to homebrewing. I got a kit for christmas and followed the directions and set it up only about a week ago. Its been kept dark and at a steady safe temp. However there seems to be little to no activity. I does have the krausen line in the fermenter. I did a sample taste per the instructions of a MR BEER rep and it tasted flat and not sweet but its cloudy still. How to i tell if all is well?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If it tasted flat and 'not-sweet', then all is well.

The only real way to tell what is going on is to use an hydrometer. I'm assuming you don't have one.

Before fermentation the wort is essentially a sugar syrup, and tastes really sweet. The yeast then convert the sugars to alcohol, and it gets less sweet.

When you carbonate it (bottle it) the carbonation will make it feel fuller and sweeter.

Leave it at least another week before bottling, It is worth leaving the beer on the yeast longer to allow the yeast to clean up some undesirable flavors.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
a_chuhran
Recipes 

Thanx for the answer. Thats what my gut said but at least now i know i should follow it.

Quick Reply