Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Moving to Seattle...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
BootstrapBill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Moving to Seattle...

Hey guys,

I am going to be moving up to Seattle from Chico within the next couple months and am going looking for places in two weeks. I am going to be somewhat close to the downtown area and wanted to get an idea on what the beer scene is like up there. I am interested in finding the best brew shops, along with clubs, good bars around, etc. Oh and if anyone has a good idea on where to start looking for places, that would be great too. I will be going to Seattle U Law within the next year. Thank you for the help. It is much appreciated.

Notable Empties: Pecan Porter, NorthWestern Pale Ale, Double IPA, Red IPA, Amber

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
imperialipa
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I live in South King county. As far as clubs and bars I'm a bit too old for that scene but Pioneer square is always fun to get into a little trouble.

The beer scene is great. Tons of breweries.

As far as where to live in the simplest terms its broken up by lake washington.

The further south you go the cheaper it gets to live. But also gets a bit more ghetto.

Smack dab in the middle in the west side of the lake is seattle and east side is bellevue. Both pretty expensive to live

North of the lake is still more expensive than the south and a little nicer.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:36 AM   #3
2stupid
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Brew shop = Larry's brewing in Kent. http://www.larrysbrewsupply.com/ big selection, good prices

bob's homebrew is closer, but good luck on finding a parking spot within a mile. small selection

Old 04-12-2012, 03:51 AM   #4
dawgman
Recipes 

the cellar homebrew.

North Seattle (Fremont, greenlake, phinney ridge, greenwood) or if you can afford it belltown/capitol hill.

Check out Naked City Brewery on 87th ave north and Greenwood avenue. Right across the street is Pillager Pub.

Tons of brew pubs in the area. Great town from a beer/wine/food aspect.

Ballard would be another great place to live but a bit of a drive from seattle U.

Maybe Leschi area ...

Old 04-13-2012, 02:37 AM   #5
markg388
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Seattle's really spread out. Living close to/in the city sucks (OR really expensive) if you plan on having a car and driving, and the good brew shops are in the suburbs. Living in the suburbs sucks if you like to get tanked at the bar and are too cheap for a taxi.

I live in the south end, and I can say with confidence the north end (namely phinney ridge, ballard, fremont) is completely saturated with great beer bars and has a good homebrew store... though you can find a couple good places anywhere. I'd start there if you plan on driving .

Old 04-13-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
Grumpybumpy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Definitely check out brouwers in fremont for a good pint. Tons of beer on tap. Bottleworks in greenlake has a great selection to take home with a few on tap too.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #7
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Depends on your budget and transportation you use. My daugther lives in lake city and found a nice sized apartment for $650. She goes to the UW and is 20 minutes by bus away/10 by car.

Parking downtown can be limited so if you aren't adverse to the bus, I would look at what's around the bus lines.

As far as nightlife, there appears to be plenty. Try and take in a Sounders game while your up, or at least the walk up drink up that occurs prior to matches.

Good Luck.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:09 AM   #8
bengerman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Haven't made it to Larry's Homebrew, but the cellar had a great staff, apart from the owner. Homebrew heaven way up north had better prices, and decent help.
With a few exceptions, the rental prices and levels of ghetto here come in clusters, if that makes sense. Lake city and lake forest park, for example, border one another. Both touch lake Washington, and have even access to the freeway. Lake forest park has Mercedes, lake city has crack heads.

As far as the beer scene, I recommend malt and vine in Redmond and uber in greenlake. Both have a proper bar, plus bottles, growlers and kegs to go.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #9
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If you're going to be working somewhere it'll work, there's also the light rail and sounder train to look at. If you can take that, it really opens up where you can live and still have a fairly painless commute. Beer scene is good everywhere. I live/work north of seattle and I drive by at least 4 or 5 breweries going to and from work. We have breweries almost like we have Starbucks.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 04-14-2012, 05:29 AM   #10
Grumpybumpy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat
If you're going to be working somewhere it'll work, there's also the light rail and sounder train to look at. If you can take that, it really opens up where you can live and still have a fairly painless commute. Beer scene is good everywhere. I live/work north of seattle and I drive by at least 4 or 5 breweries going to and from work. We have breweries almost like we have Starbucks.
Ever been to fremont brewing?

Quick Reply