Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > More residual sugar, more likely to get infected?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
StophJS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default More residual sugar, more likely to get infected?

I mentioned this in another post I made but didn't really get any responses on that point. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience to back this up, particularly in brews with lactose or maltodextrin in them. My only infected batch was a stout with 1/2 lb of lactose in it, and that got me thinking about why that could have been. Maybe just bad luck, but maybe it was the leftover sugar. Brewer's yeast does not eat these sugars, but that's not true of some types of wild yeast or bacteria. To me this would indicate that wild yeast or bacteria are more likely to start growing in a beer where these "leftover" sugars are present. Has anyone else had experience with this or looked into the science of this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2304 Times on 2005 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Well,take for instance the South American chicha,made by chewing the corn & then spitting it into a vessel with water to ferment. It turns out the amylase enzyme in spit that does the job of fermenting. I remember Sam making a batch,tested all the men & women in the office. The women had higher levels of it then men. So it can break down long chain sugars.
But as long as the beer stays sealed,I don't think it's much of a concern in our context.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:12 AM   #3
Dogphish
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

spit does not ferment the sugar. the enzymes in the spit perform the mashing (unfermentable sugars are broken down into fermentable sugars by enzymes).

dextrose does not cause infections. unsanitized/improperly sanitized equipment causes infections. the wort is sterile after you boil it for 10 or more minutes. after you cool it, something has to infect it in order for it to turn sour.

Tap: Centennial IPA (SMASH)
Tap: Dogfish Head Ginger Saison
Bottle: Stone 11th Anniversary Black IPA clone
Secondary: Flemish Brown Sour Ale

Old 12-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
StophJS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Something has to get into it to infect it of course, but there is never a batch of homebrew brewed that doesn't get something in it. Any time your beer or a post-sanitization utensil is exposed to the air for even a couple seconds, it is exposed to all the airborne contaminants contained in air, i.e. wild yeast. The question of whether or not the beer develops a full blown infection has to do with whether any nasties can really get a hold on your beer. My thinking is that the presence of all this sugar makes it easier for them to do so.

Quick Reply