Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Mold: Help me rest easy
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
fineexampl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Edison, NJ
Posts: 666
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Mold: Help me rest easy

So i'm preparing my ingredients for my boil. Mash is about done and i haven't sparged yet. I am using a pound of piloncillo in my brew and i unwrapped the brick to find a nasty spot where it was at one point moldy. It looked dead, so i cut out the affected area and weighed it. Oddly enough, it weighs exactly 1lb, which is all i need. It doesn't smell weird or anything.

So, my question is, will this be okay to use?? I'm using it regardless, but i just need someone to confirm my thought process.

I am doing a full boil. That would kill off any nasties, right? I should think so.

I figure, it IS a saison, so any funky stuff would probably be acceptable so long as the nasty stuff is all dead.

Help me out here, please.

__________________

Primary: Highway 35 Scotch Ale (Highway 78 clone), second runnings small beer

Bottled: Pitch Black Sheep IPA, Juniper Fail/Ale

Kegged: Apollo Pale Ale, South River Brown

fineexampl is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: WI
Posts: 3,184
Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

I was a cook for many years. The "old school" way is to cut it off 1" past the infected area. This has changed to do not use it all because mold actually infects everything not just what you can see.

__________________
“I'm not drunk, I'm from Wisconsin.”
We have been out drinking your state since 1848!
Zamial is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
fineexampl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Edison, NJ
Posts: 666
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
I was a cook for many years. The "old school" way is to cut it off 1" past the infected area. This has changed to do not use it all because mold actually infects everything not just what you can see.
I hear ya. If i wasn't doing a full boil, i would toss it right out.

My logic is that if it were truly brewed in a Belgian farmhouse, they would not have wasted it and would have used it anyway.
__________________

Primary: Highway 35 Scotch Ale (Highway 78 clone), second runnings small beer

Bottled: Pitch Black Sheep IPA, Juniper Fail/Ale

Kegged: Apollo Pale Ale, South River Brown

fineexampl is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
superjunior
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ohio
Posts: 1,260
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Zamial has a good point but I would think the boil would kill any lingering funkyness

__________________
superjunior is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
TheDom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheDom's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 382
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

The boil will absolutely kill off any lingering live mold, and most likely kill off spores, but regardless it won't grow in your beer. The problem with molds is not that they'll infect your beer, but the toxic metabolites they leave behind. Unfortunately, said toxins can be pretty heat stable. Here's an article on aflatoxin heat stability in brewing. Dry read, but basically after an absurdly complicated 70+min step mash and 90min boil, they still measured between 14-28% of the added aflatoxin B1 and ochratoxin A (nasty liver carcinogens). That's not to say that you've got a toxigenic species there, but fungi are a difficult bunch to identify, so unless you're absolutely sure what you've got it's a good idea to leave it alone.

As homebrewers we go to so much trouble to add specific ingredients in known quantities to produce consistently good beers. Why add a complete unknown?

Either way, good luck with your brew.

__________________
TheDom is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mold in sugar? skizziks General Beer Discussion 1 11-28-2010 06:48 AM
Vanilla Mold Fireball80 General Beer Discussion 5 02-11-2009 11:26 PM
possible mold... tony21 General Beer Discussion 4 11-13-2008 08:31 PM
Mold avoidance EamusCatuli General Beer Discussion 5 07-11-2008 07:40 PM
Is that mold in my beer? smorris General Beer Discussion 3 01-04-2005 12:35 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS