The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Mold or am I ok? Pic included

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 AM   #31
Abedrinkin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

There is a SLIGHT chance that a tad of starsan was possibly left in the carboy but I'm usually very thorough, again always a chance. The aroma is great so I think (hopefully) that I'm going to be OK. This is just a first for me granted 7 brews isn't a large sample size.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 04:45 AM   #32
AgentHubcap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Doesn't look good to me, but I would definitely wait it out to see how/if it spreads.

I would also put the bottles in a Tupperware bin when you bottle. Cleaning up bottle bombs is no fun.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:02 AM   #33
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentHubcap View Post
Doesn't look good to me, but I would definitely wait it out to see how/if it spreads.

I would also put the bottles in a Tupperware bin when you bottle. Cleaning up bottle bombs is no fun.
I didn't know Tupperware was still around! I haven't heard that word for a few years!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:11 AM   #34
AgentHubcap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthekeg View Post
I didn't know Tupperware was still around! I haven't heard that word for a few years!
Rubbermaid, then? Is my old showing?

Old 01-30-2013, 05:24 AM   #35
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abedrinkin View Post
Hey all,

I'm not a total newbie as I'm on batch 7 but I'm not well versed either. Making BB Imperial Pale Ale. I sanitized well just as I've always done and in the secondary these white spots of film with very small bubbles have popped up after 2 days, nothing fuzzy like mold though. I'm only concerned as this hasn't happened to me before. Am I going to be OK with this batch or is this one a goner? Sorry for the newbie question, I thank you guys in advance.

Cheers,

Dave.
Abedrinkin, dude, That's what I refer to as "White Mold". The spores for that crap are rampant where I brew. It leaves your brew with a smell of dirty jock straps and very musty taste. Drop a PM if you want to know how I avoid this plaque.....

Old 01-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #36
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 226

See, to me, it looks like the film is on the glss, not on the beer. In that case, th white spots are nothing more than CO2/yeast rafts.

OP, I think you are fine. If it still smells and tastes like beer, I say bottle it.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 01-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #37
Abedrinkin
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Just thought to run this by you guys, there were a couple of similar "bubbles" right after I initially transferred, see pic.

brew.jpg  

Old 01-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #38
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post
See, to me, it looks like the film is on the glss, not on the beer. In that case, th white spots are nothing more than CO2/yeast rafts.

OP, I think you are fine. If it still smells and tastes like beer, I say bottle it.
I haven't been brewing all that long, but I was a winemaker long before I started brewing (25+ years for wine, only 13 or so for beer).

I've never once seen "white spots" be yeast rafts! Yeast clumpies are not bright white like mold is- they are beige-ish at best. White, and irregular edges like that, almost fuzzy looking, aren't yeast. It's really hard to tell in the picture, though, and maybe it's not white and irregular and growing.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #39
Indytruks138
2 Punks Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 585

Now I'm interested to see how this turns out. The film is definitely on the beer, the OP even confirmed that, its a film on the beer. The spots being there right after racking is interesting. Everyone here wants you to keep it, so don't throw it out, give it another week and lets all see what happens. If it is an infection maybe it'll be a good one and you'll get a cool sour IPA......doubtful.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #40
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2954 Times on 1874 Posts
Likes Given: 2492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I haven't been brewing all that long, but I was a winemaker long before I started brewing (25+ years for wine, only 13 or so for beer).

I've never once seen "white spots" be yeast rafts! Yeast clumpies are not bright white like mold is- they are beige-ish at best. White, and irregular edges like that, almost fuzzy looking, aren't yeast. It's really hard to tell in the picture, though, and maybe it's not white and irregular and growing.
Yea, it is hard to tell. I've had mold like that growing on my beer. Gawd that's a downer when I see that. It's usually accompanied by a dankness in the taste and smell.

Quick Reply