Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Mold or am I ok? Pic included

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4254 Times on 3099 Posts
Likes Given: 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abedrinkin View Post
Suggestions as to how to salvage it?
I don't know for sure, as I don't know what that is, but I'd try bottling it by racking from underneath the mold/coating. And then keep an eye on the bottles, to make sure they aren't infected with something that will cause bottle bombs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman View Post
I would trust Yooper when it comes to the realm of infections.
Um, thanks?!?!?

I've never actually seen anything like that in my beer, but I've seen wine photos of that kind of growth with headspace. So I'm not speaking from experience, thank goodness!

It's only in a brewing forum where a conversation about infections is ok, I think!

Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
Abedrinkin
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I did rack too soon, admittedly I only left it in the primary for a week, my brother is coming in from out of town in 6 weeks and he's been wanting to taste a home brew, aside from my instincts I did rush this one. Is it going to be salvageable? No film on the carboy itself, just on the top of the brew. Again, lots of small bubbles, doesn't appear to be mold. Major lesson learned! I'm normally incredibly patient.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abedrinkin View Post
I did rack too soon, admittedly I only left it in the primary for a week, my brother is coming in from out of town in 6 weeks and he's been wanting to taste a home brew, aside from my instincts I did rush this one. Is it going to be salvageable? No film on the carboy itself, just on the top of the brew. Again, lots of small bubbles, doesn't appear to be mold. Major lesson learned! I'm normally incredibly patient.
Probably not salvageable, unfortunately.

It just seems like an infection. You can wait and see, of course, but it doesn't seem like it will work out.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:49 PM   #15
argyle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Definately an infection-- Send it to me I'll dispose of it properly.

(Somebody had to say it first)

Seriously, If you racked it after a week and those are small bubbles, you are probably fine. The yeast is still working and most likely have created a bit of CO2. This CO2 will probably keep your beer from oxidizing and force out any outside air. So my advice is to leave the airlock on for at least another week. See how it progresses and I think you'll be pleased to see your worrying was for nothing!

I believe the film was on the carboy and not on the beer. The little bubbles on the beer I think are fine.

(Of course Yooper is more knowledgeable than me. Nice Tom Waits pic Yooper, been meaning to compliment you on that for sometime!)

Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #16
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 651 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Sorry Yooper. When I read it before I hit the post button I saw how it looked and thought to change it but.......well you know

OP If you have 6 weeks till your brother shows up you can still knock a session beer out in time. 2 weeks fermenting and 3 weeks in the bottle with a week to spare.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #17
CatHead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 172

I have looked at tons of info on infections including most threads on here. I look for spiderwebs or jellyfish looking as most common but I am sure there are more kinds. I have also read many things about CO2 and yeast rafts looking like an infection. My thinking is if it is an infection you are going to have to clean it anyway so unless there is a reason not to I would wait a week to see if it goes away.

Gone: Dry Irish Stout, Pale Ale

Old 01-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #18
Abedrinkin
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I opened it up and nothing about the aroma is off, very hoppy, slight malt, and alcohol. I'm hoping that I just racked too soon and the bubbles are the work of the unfinished yeast. Finger crossed. Major lesson learned. I greatly appreciate everyone's input and advice.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #19
Brewtah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Definitely! It's not normal, and it's an infection of some sort starting. It looks like a lot of headspace, but I don't see any krausen ring. Is it in a "new" carboy ('secondary') with too much headspace? That is what it looks like.

Edit- I see it's in a "secondary" (clearing vessel). There's a lot of headspace, and it looks like you've picked up some infection as a result of the racking and large amount of headspace.
Ok, now i am comfused too much head space in a secondary can cause an infection? Yikes I just racked a low volume batch (4 gallons) on oak and hops. I thought the worry was oxidation

Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #20
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 651 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I hope it works for you man. I have to say I hate these threads. Everytime I see something that looks like a infection I go and check out my beer

Quick Reply