The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Mistakes. Read one, leave one.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
woknblues
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default Mistakes. Read one, leave one.

So I throw this party on Saturday for some of my work friends. I talk up the spread, get everyone excited, etc. BBQ'ed brisket, homebrew and whatnot. People start coming over and I get my Caribbean Punch going to loosen things up (one of sour two of sweet, three of hard, four of weak)... Unfortunately by this time, I am a bit on the tipsy side, someone brought a bottle of something and a few shots were had.

A bunch of them request some homebrew, and I go to get them pints of BM's blonde ale. It seems to come out just a bit dark, but the head is good and I attribute it to the smaller/thicker glassware and the glaze starting to creep over my eyesight.

I give them all their pints and they take some sips, smile politely and filter back to the party. Nobody comes back for seconds.

Today I poured myself one to go with a leftover bbq sandwich and quickly discover that I poured them young Graff.

Three lessons learned. Trust my instincts, label the damn picnic taps, get someone else to pour if I am half cut on punch.

Anyone else screw the pooch this weekend?

Primary#1: BM's Loon Lake Smoked Porter
Primary#2: Farmhouse Saison Brett
Secondary#1-4: Empty
Keg#1: Nothing fancy Choc Stout w/ nibs
Keg#2: Graff
Keg#3-4: Empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
woknblues
Recipes 

In all honesty, I was headed back to the keezer to pull and dump the batch, thinking that the blonde had gone bad somehow... It's funny how when you are ready to taste "a", and you get "b", no matter how good "b" is, it tastes like S@#&..

isleofman Likes This 
Old 04-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Doubling the priming sugar on my second batch. I think I launched a few into orbit. Whoops!

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 04-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
GrantH
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hadn't brewed in forever and tried cooling in the carboy, not the kettle. Carboy go boom.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
woknblues
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
Hadn't brewed in forever and tried cooling in the carboy, not the kettle. Carboy go boom.
I am about to get a glass carboy for some secondary use, but after all the stories, I will never primary, nor will I do anything but siphon cold fermenting liquid into one. I hate the idea of even moving them around.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 656 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 588

I accidentally dumped my stir bar down the drain. But I think the exploding carboy guy wins.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
GrantH
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by woknblues View Post
I am about to get a glass carboy for some secondary use, but after all the stories, I will never primary, nor will I do anything but siphon cold fermenting liquid into one. I hate the idea of even moving them around.
They are not dangerous, we just had a dumbass moment. We weren't paying attention and we were rewarded with the loss of gear for not doing so. It happens, we won't ever let it happen again though. Stupid mistake. Glass is awesome and I move it regularly with no issues.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
BucknerBrauhaus
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Got a new thermometer. Heated the HLT to 170. Stewed the grains and then sparged. During the boil, I noticed that the thermometer was only reading 182 I adjusted the thermometeer for the boil. During cooling, I noticed that ice cold water was a chilly 80 degrees. Anybody want a paperweight?

With a 30 degree difference, I figure I mashed and sparged at what -- 180?
OG at about 1.044 and FG at about 1.022 -- sounds like a desert beer! Kegged and carbing for the next two weeks.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Made a 1 liter starter in my 3 liter flask. I thought there was no way it could boil over with that much headspace. It can and it did. Lesson learned, I'll keep a watchful eye on it next time.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
woknblues
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
They are not dangerous, we just had a dumbass moment. We weren't paying attention and we were rewarded with the loss of gear for not doing so. It happens, we won't ever let it happen again though. Stupid mistake. Glass is awesome and I move it regularly with no issues.
I guess I should say that they may not be inherently dangerous, but I am a huge klutz, and can easily see maiming myself after running into something while carrying one, etc. My fermentation schedule requires that I mose my carboys all over the house at certain times of day, when the weather changes or when I start the heater or airconditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucknerBrauhaus View Post
Got a new thermometer. Heated the HLT to 170. Stewed the grains and then sparged. During the boil, I noticed that the thermometer was only reading 182 I adjusted the thermometeer for the boil. During cooling, I noticed that ice cold water was a chilly 80 degrees. Anybody want a paperweight?

With a 30 degree difference, I figure I mashed and sparged at what -- 180?
OG at about 1.044 and FG at about 1.022 -- sounds like a desert beer! Kegged and carbing for the next two weeks.
Hehe.. Hope it was a cheap recipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
Made a 1 liter starter in my 3 liter flask. I thought there was no way it could boil over with that much headspace. It can and it did. Lesson learned, I'll keep a watchful eye on it next time.
I am looking into ferm cap. I have had boil overs in the house until I moved everything outside, of course..

Quick Reply