HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ministry and beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 02:51 AM   #11
wailingguitar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 497

When I was working at Rogue some years ago, one of the other brewers was married to a UMC minister. I understand that she would help him with his homebrewing at times. I certainly know she would lift one or three, having spent time with her at company parties etc.

When I was attending a Christian Church/Disciples of Christ church in Birmingham, Alabama a few years ago, the minister enjoyed good beer.. though he was not well versed. He would have a particularly stressful day and give me a call "I need to have a beer with ma' buddy...". Turned him on to a few good breweries... one night that stands out in my mind was a quiet conversation at my house over a shared bottle of Chimay Grand Reserve, enjoyed out of my Chimay goblets. He really enjoyed hearing about Trappist monks, etc.

I am an ordained minister myself, though I rarely mention it or use my title. I don't preach in a church, but do grief and relationship counseling on a volunteer basis.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 02:56 AM   #12
dbreienrk1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Isn't the fact that this conversation is going on a sign that organized religion is kind of weird? How can any person judge you for something that you enjoy? You aren't hurting anyone. You aren't breaking the law. And even if you were breaking the law brewing and drinking beer isn't immoral. Many things that are legal are immoral and many things that are illegal aren't immoral.

I don't want to start a huge fight over this because organized religion has some pluses. I think the real question should be, "what does God think about me brewing?" I'm pretty sure he's cool with it...

http://www.piedmontbrewingcompany.com/
http://koinz04.blogspot.com/

Primary - Nada
Secondary - Abandoned (for most brews)
Conditioning - Nada
Enjoying - Summit IPA, Cherry Belgian Dubbel, Otto von Bismarck Stout, Richmond Red Ale
Up Next - Belgian Tripel

Old 03-27-2012, 03:01 AM   #13
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6566 Times on 5639 Posts
Likes Given: 969

Martin Luther threw a kegger when the Catholics kicked him out. That, Bach, and Händel justify the existence of Lutheranism.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:21 AM   #14
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I am pretty non-religous myself but my wife attends an Episcopal church. I have served homebrew at several church functions. In fact once a month during the summer they have something called "Messy Church". It is a church service that is basically an outdoor potluck with wine and beer. Nothing like attending a church service while drinking a beer!!

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 03-27-2012, 03:25 AM   #15
rswear
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well Jesus turned water into wine… that’s almost like home brewing….

My Dad was a Methodist Pastor. He did keep his occasional beer and wine drinking on the down low until he retired. Then he didn’t worry about it so much. I never did see him have more than one or two drinks at a time. I think he was more just trying to avoid stirring things up that didn't matter in the greater scheme of things.

In my opinion you should be honest and authentic to who you are and if home brewing is a part of it then so be it. It might be different if you were becoming a part of a church that forbid it, but you are not. I think you will find some of the grandmas will like you and some will not. Those who decide not to will find a reason no matter what you do or don’t do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt99004 View Post
No problems here either. I started a Men's Brewing Group at my church. We brew and provide beer (served at the church) for two fundraisers each year: Oktoberfest and St. Patrick's Day. It has been received surprisingly well by the congregation. We call it "Hops-Based Evangelism." Cheers!
Now that sounds like my kind of church, too bad you are on the other end of the state from me.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:27 AM   #16
Frankiesurf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbreienrk1 View Post
Isn't the fact that this conversation is going on a sign that organized religion is kind of weird? How can any person judge you for something that you enjoy? You aren't hurting anyone. You aren't breaking the law. And even if you were breaking the law brewing and drinking beer isn't immoral. Many things that are legal are immoral and many things that are illegal aren't immoral.
+1!

I am basically an Atheist so I don't know if you will accept what I have to say.

I was brought up Roman Catholic and from what I understand, one of the worst offenses, religiously, is gluttony. Too much of something is bad for your soul. If you imbibe or brew with some reservation then you are good to go. Just the fact that you brew should not throw up the red flag. It is a hobby that is ages old and never harmed anyone that did not go over the top.

Far be it from me to speak of such things though. I haven't had an empty FV since I started brewing.

If you are asking this question to a bunch of brewers in the first place, it sounds like you are feeling some guilt. Maybe not the right place to pose your validations.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:34 AM   #17
TarVolon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm Presbyterian, and my community group alone has multiple homebrewers. But then again, you've probably heard all the Presbyterian jokes.

Two things are a little concerning about your situation. First, if I understand correctly, the Methodist church has a history of tee-totaling dating back forever. Wasn't it a Methodist who invented grape juice so they could take Eucharist without alcohol?

Second, rural NC is historically Baptist territory, and Baptists are also a historically tee-totaling denomination.

I wouldn't have any issue. My grandparents on either side wouldn't have issues. But then again, when the family gets together for Christmas, the Bloody Marys are out by 8 AM. Actually, my Uncle usually has a Coors Light by 8 AM as well. So perhaps I'm not a representative sample.

Where in NC, by the way? Western North Carolina is absolutely gorgeous. And the Triangle isn't half bad, although it's a little flat.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:36 AM   #18
iv_hokie12
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbreienrk1 View Post

I don't want to start a huge fight over this because organized religion has some pluses. I think the real question should be, "what does God think about me brewing?" I'm pretty sure he's cool with it...
I don't have a problem with brewing and enjoying a tasty brew, however I can certainly understand why many church going folks would find drinking morally objectionable. Drinking is very much on the gray area as far as moral objectivity. For example, the Bible has many occasions where alcohol is mentioned in a positive light. However, when it mentions drunkenness it is always negative. We can almost all agree that one beer is responsible use, while hugging a toilet is drunkenness, but where exactly is the line where it crosses into being immoral? Its tough to say.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #19
tonyc318
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

As a fellow minister and homebrewer I would agree with many things being said here. I love this hobby. It brings incredible satisfaction to create something that is so enjoyable. God put that enjoyment of creating in us. Just like everyone else has said, moderation and self control is the key for us in ministry. Im very lucky to be in a church where people are ok with alcohol. The other minister I work with is getting into making wine. But, not every church is like that (unfortunately). Feel it out. Pray about it.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #20
Ply318ci
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

As a former youth pastor and a high science teacher at a Christian school I have had topics of alcohol brought up many times. Drinking is not a sin nor is brewing. As a pastor though you are held to a higher standard as such keeping the fact that you brew or even drink should be revealed very carefully due to the fact that many people in your congregation will be very offended by that. You are perfectly justified to do whatever you want but you are to led these people and not cause anyone to stumble. Romans 14:13-23 comes to mind although that is very often taken out of context and used by legalistic Christians to justify them telling others what to do (I have had this used against me for drinking). But you still need to be sensitive to the weaker people in your congregation. If it is not out of love it doesn't matter.

Quick Reply