Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Mini-Mash?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
DtownRiot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mini-Mash?

Hey all. Im doing some shopping on Austin Home Brew and decided to go with the Hobgoblin Clone Kit. I want to do this as an Extract Recipe which Austin says requires a Mini-Mash. Im not really sure what this is. It says I would need additional steeping as well. Not to sure what that is either. Would I need any additional equipment to pull off the mini-mash? Since this will be only my fourth batch, am I a little in over my head on this one?
Heres the link to the page if you would like the specifics.

Austin Homebrew Supply

thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 32

You don't have to do that mini-mash. See "kit option." That being said, mini-mash isn't too hard, and their method just requires a large grain bag and a thermometer I think. Other mini mash methods use a cooler or extra ale pail, a false bottom, etc. But you don't need that.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Just buy the extract kit, and all you'll have to do is steep grains as always. That said, mini-mashing is a fun upgrade that isn't particularly difficult and doesn't require any expensive additional equipment (maybe $15 worth for a grain bag and a small 2-gallon cooler), and can help you make better beer. Do a search for mini-mash or partial mash, and you'll find plenty of threads that explain what the difference is.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 02-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 649

The AHS PM kits don't require a cooler. All you need is a grainbag large enough to fit in your pot and silp over the rim. I assume you have thermometer... Anyway, it's way easy and the directions from AHS are pretty idiot proof.... Go for it...it's really easy.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:38 AM   #5
TheBandit
Recipes 

I was gonna ask the same type question. I brewed a True Brew Red Ale kit for my first brew. I steeped specialty grains in a muslin bag before I got the water boiling. Is this mini mashing?

Old 02-17-2009, 01:39 AM   #6
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
I was gonna ask the same type question. I brewed a True Brew Red Ale kit for my first brew. I steeped specialty grains in a muslin bag before I got the water boiling. Is this mini mashing?
No, it is not.
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Quick Reply