Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Mini Fridge to Kegerator Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
3DrinksAhead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mini Fridge to Kegerator Conversion

Hi All,

I'm in the middle of a project where I'm taking an old, working mini-fridge and am converting it into a kegerator. However, I've hit a bit of a snag. When I was drilling a hole in the top of the fridge to place my draft tower, I nicked two copper lines that appear to be connected to the compressor of the mini-fridge. I'm guessing it's from the compressor because as soon as I hit the lines, air came shooting out of the holes in the lines.

I shut off the fridge and patched up the holes using some plumber's epoxy. I thought this solved it - I couldn't hear air coming out of the lines anymore. However, although I can hear the fridge running with no air leakage, it's not getting cold at all.

Did I ruin a perfectly good mini-fridge, or is there a way to fix this? I'm wondering if when I patched up the holes in the lines if I used too much epoxy and am blocking the airflow necessary to cool down the unit. I don't really know much about how a fridge or a compressor or a cooling unit in a fridge work, so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
SimonHucko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 12

my guess is that you vented the coolant (freon) when you broke the line. if that's the case, you're pretty much SOL. it *can* be recharged/repaired, but the cost is going to be on par with (if not more than) buying a new fridge.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply