Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Milling your own grain??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
DSMbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Milling your own grain??

Fro those of you who do not have a LHBS, a mill seems to be on e of the logical things to have around. For those of us who have a LHBS, it seems to me that having the store house the grain and to let them grind it is the way to go. Any thoughts on having your own grain mill with a LHBS vs. not having a mill? Is it cost effective to own a mill with a local store in your backyard?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

You can control the crush. Just because they have a mill, doesn't mean they give you a good crush. Plus with your own, you can buy grain in bulk and be ready to brew anytime. Regardless is the shop is open.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 11-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts

It's a matter of convenience. It's REALLY inconvenient for me to have to mill my grain at the LHBS, because their selection sucks. So, I buy in bulk and mill it myself.
If you have a LHBS with good selection and a mill, it's up to you if you want one.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 11-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I have my own mill, it is one of the best purchases I have made. I buy in bulk, I condition my malt and crush as fine as I like, prior to getting my own mill I rarely got above the 65% eff. Now that I have tweaked my own milling process I am rarely below 85% eff, so my grain money goes farther to hit recipe target numbers.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 11-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
PanzerBanana
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't have a fancy mill but I got one of those cast iron hand cranked ones, from my shop. I could fit with a drill, but I really like having control over my grain, doing it by hand for the old fashioned touch.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
lyacovett
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got a cheap corona mill. it much more convenient to mill the grain myself. I have the flexibility to brew whenever i want, without having to go to the LHBS to get grains. Keep around 100 lbs or so on hand and I can decide to brew last minute if I want. I also get around 83% eff. with my own crush .... but some like to have somebody else crush their grains. To each his own.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2141 Times on 1532 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

I live a ways form the LHBS, but even if I lived close, I'd still want a mill around. I built my own, so the cost was not an issue. Consider the facts:

1. Crushing your grain means you can keep bulk grains fresher longer.
2. Crushing you grain means you have fine control over your crush. Your LHBS *may* crush your grain perfectly. Or not.

It's a cost thing. I like having one, but if I had to buy one instead of building one using scrap at work, I'd have to think hard about it (not really, after owning one. It's just so handy!)

Old 11-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I also have the cheap hand crank corona knock off. I have 3 HBS within driving range but I still like to buy and mill as I need it. One store is close and cheap, but has slim selections. The other two have better selections but they are more pricey and further away. I always overbuy a little more than I need so I have a stock of various grains on hand for those emergency/experimental/test batches. If I had it all milled it would go stale before I could ever use it all.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMbrewer View Post
Fro those of you who do not have a LHBS, a mill seems to be on e of the logical things to have around. For those of us who have a LHBS, it seems to me that having the store house the grain and to let them grind it is the way to go. Any thoughts on having your own grain mill with a LHBS vs. not having a mill? Is it cost effective to own a mill with a local store in your backyard?
Its never cost effective to NOT own a mill.

If you have a mill, you can buy in real bulk, and get grain at about $.70/lb. You can get a corona, which isn't flash, but works fine, for $20-30.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #10
DSMbrewer
Recipes 

That's kinda the thing.....my LHBS is close by and has great selection. Crush always seems good and i get about 75% eff. Looking at the price of a mill, bout $170, seems to me it would take a long time to get my money out of it. How much are bulk grains, money and bag size, and what is the best way to store?

Quick Reply