Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > milled grain life

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Dougan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default milled grain life

I got the grain for a beer last week sometime intending to brew this past weekend, but it never happened. Do you think it will last until sunday?

I milled it at the LHBS and then put the grain in an ale pail and put the lid on it (does have the hole for the airlock in it) and then just stuck it in the closet. It has been humid for a day or two when it rained but otherwise has been average, around 72 degrees and will stay that way.

Do you think it will last? Or should I just dump it and spend the 15 bucks again? Not a big deal if I have to, I'd rather do that than waste 8 hours brewing for a yuck beer, if you think I should be concerned.

"Traffic. If only it were as light as your beer" - Miller MGD 64 truck. A thought I have every day while driving in heavy traffic, downing light beers.

Search Recipes by Ingredients | Check out my brewing recipes!

Primary: Lagunitas IPA Clone
Kegged: German Pilsner, Clydesdale (Spotted Cow Clone)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
Clonefarmer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougan View Post
I got the grain for a beer last week sometime intending to brew this past weekend, but it never happened. Do you think it will last until sunday?

I milled it at the LHBS and then put the grain in an ale pail and put the lid on it (does have the hole for the airlock in it) and then just stuck it in the closet. It has been humid for a day or two when it rained but otherwise has been average, around 72 degrees and will stay that way.

Do you think it will last? Or should I just dump it and spend the 15 bucks again? Not a big deal if I have to, I'd rather do that than waste 8 hours brewing for a yuck beer, if you think I should be concerned.
Milled grain should stay fresh for a few weeks.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

It'll be fine. I've gone over a month without issue. Just be careful as mice LOVE milled grain. They ate a hole in the top of my bucket trying to get at it once. Probably best to leave it in the house and not the garage.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Quick Reply