Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Milk Chocolate Stout - Soaking Nibs in RUM??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
drudini11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Milk Chocolate Stout - Soaking Nibs in RUM??

Have had a milk stout sitting in primary for the past 2 weeks and getting ready to rack to secondary along with 4oz of dominican cacoa nibs. Usually will soak the nibs in vodka before placing into secondary but ran out and decided to soak in some good 5 year old rum I had in the house. First time I am using something other then vodka and not sure what if anything this may do to the flavor of the stout..........this is a 5 gallon batch. Anyone use rum to soak cacoa nibs before? I have additional nibs as well so if there was any chance this may impact the stout in a negative way I can always make a run later this week to get some vodka and do it the old fashioned way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
ersheff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made a stout with nibs soaked in bourbon last winter. While the nibs absorbed a lot more bourbon than I'd expected them to, there didn't seem to be much if any bourbon flavor in the finished beer. I'd guess that the rum flavor would be barely perceptible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply