The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Mikkeller 1000 IBUs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
chocotaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Mikkeller 1000 IBUs

FYI.

I saw this on tap last week and tried it. As a fan (I would like to think "connoisseur", but it's up for debate) of IPAs, I had the following reaction:

Ugh.

It is surely nice and bitter. I don't doubt that it has 1000 IBUs, even though the human palate has diminishing returns beyond 100 or so (no sources, just what I have heard here and there so take it with a grain of salt).

But IBU does not a great beer make. It has very little else going on besides bitterness. No distinct aroma to speak of. No distinct hop flavor to speak of. No distinct malt flavor to speak of. It just tastes like a carbonated bitter-water with alcohol.

I respect Mikkeller and I would like to think they made this beer as an ironic statement against "extreme beer" - that IBUs are not something to be proud of; you can't measure a beer's flavor by some quantitative chemical benchmark. IOW, I suspect they are IRL-trolling the "extreme beer" crowd, just to see what the reaction would be.

If you had this beer, please post your reaction (no judgement if you liked it, seriously). If you didn't have this beer, post your reaction to the idea of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
bovineblitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

The one I had was oxidized all to hell. It tasted like a subpar barleywine. I rarely buy Mikkeller bottles because of that reason, they're always a bit old.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
CHUM_
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 21

felt like my tongue was wrapped up in a burnt porcupine fetus dipped in sap after swig....a 'not so good' brew IMO.

Now, having a DIPA immediately afterwards felt like I was drink a 'light' APA...

Old 07-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #4
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

A read an interview with the Mikkeller master brewer. He specifically states that it is a gimmick beer.

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

Old 07-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
chocotaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMbrewer View Post
A read an interview with the Mikkeller master brewer. He specifically states that it is a gimmick beer.
Do you have a link? I would like to read that interview.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:15 AM   #6
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMbrewer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocotaco View Post
Do you have a link? I would like to read that interview.
Likewise. I want to read that interview.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

http://beerpulse.com/2010/01/mikkell...ausing-a-stir/

Unfortunately it is not near as long as I remember. But he's pretty forward about the beer.
His comment on "Dark Lord" is interesting. I knew it had a pretty high FG, but does anyone know if it really is 1.06?!!!

Edit: if anyone can find the original thread on Beeradvocate I would love to see if there is a full interview.

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

Quick Reply