Midwest Supply v. Northern Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have purchased from both, I initially started with Midwest, but then started shopping with Northern Brewer. I generally price out my order at both places, and Northern Brewer generally gets my business. Northern Brewer also seems to be quicker to get my order to me. All in all I have no problem with either place

Usually it's Midwest for equipment, NB for everything else. I usually order on a sunday or monday and receive the order thursday or friday with the flat rate shipping at NB. NB is my first choice for pretty much everything. I even know a pro brewer that orders things like beer engines from them for their brewpub.

I'm in a bad shipping zone for midwest. I still use them from time to time for small obscure things.
I end up getting a lot of stuff from Northern Brewer (and williams and AHS)

Since I pick up, usually NB is cheaper on the bulk bags. I go there then, if MW has a special on bulk bags, I will go there. More times than not, I buy from NB. I don't have anything shipped from either, and don't purchase hops there. I can get hops from anywhere on the internet cheaper then them.

My biggest thing is I have a hard time justifying paying the shipping, especially at MW. I have a LHBS within 10-15 minutes and even though their initial prices are higher, I think add the shipping and its about even. In that case I'd rather buy/support the LHBS. Obviously they won't have everything I need, but for the most part they do.

I feel like I need multiple online stores. I order from Northern Brewer, Midwest, MoreBeer, Williams, etc.

I seem to keep going back to Midwest. Their live chat is really great. Last week, a guy spent an hour on chat with me putting together a kegerator parts list and then gave me a coupon code to save on shipping.

I don't really buy from either. I live close to label peelers - who I think will become one of the big names soon enough. They are located like a mile from LD carlson so they have lower prices generally and the pick things up fresh almost every day. Plus, the owner is a great guy and they are super focused on customer service. Geez, sounds like I work there - not that I'd mind working there.

I've purchased from both and like both. I find that when I compare side by side the prices are very similiar but NB's flat rate shipping usually saves me a couple of bucks.

Here's something fun. The next time you order from Midwest, in the comment section of the online order form, ask them to draw you a picture of a cold frosty mug of homebrew on the box. Someone there is very good at artwork as the picture I received on my box was very well done.

Here's something fun. The next time you order from Midwest, in the comment section of the online order form, ask them to draw you a picture of a cold frosty mug of homebrew on the box. Someone there is very good at artwork as the picture I received on my box was very well done.

Ha! That's awesome.

I use NB for my stuff. The buddy I have that got me into homebrew used them and I like their kits. Also if you are military and call them to order they give you a 10% discount anytime. Can't beat 10% off! Any business willing to give service members a break gets my business

Northern Brewer gets my business. I have looked at Midwest but the shipping comes in way too high often pushing it over Northern Brewers pricing. That probably has to do with being on the other side of the country. Northern Brewer also has fantastic customer service.
I recently ordered some Wyeast American Ale yeast. Apparently it has an issue in the summer where the yeast retains CO2 and inflates the package on it's own while at the warehouse or during shipping. Well I called their customer service who was amazing friendly and helpful. I was fully educated on my first call. When I got home and tried to check the smack pack I could tell if it was broken or not. I called again we talked and they said they would send me a new package of yeast just to be sure.

I use both and have had good experiences with both. I find Midwests shipping costs to be high and sometimes it takes awhile to get an order filled but the one problem I had with an order was taken care of right away after a phone call. Northern has flat rate shipping which can save me about 12 bucks and their prices are pretty much in line with Midwest. Also, never any problems with my orders with northern

I shop all of them. I usually look at the bottom line price for the order I'm making, and the cheapest gets the order. I've had great service from all of them, and want to give Kudos to all of these online suppliers for their outstanding support of this great hobby. :mug:

Back