Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Microbrews: Bottled very different from Kegged

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #11
TheFlatline
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinggalin View Post
So I take it that is why Guiness on tap taste different from Guiness in the bottle???

I guess they try to make em taste similar by putting that wedget in the bottles..

Don't work.. Guiness on tap is me favorite beer.

Not too found of the bottled product..
Guinness on tap is a different creature. The widget is there to introduce nitrogen into the beer when you open it, but it doesn't do as well of a mixing job as a draught head. I suspect the brews are slightly different as well, but don't quote me on that.

Usually when I'm drinking Guinness on tap I'm pounding it back like water, so the subtleties are lost on me. I hit up a place in Orange just a couple weeks ago in fact, and pounded what my bar tab said was 8 25oz mugs of the stuff, two newcastle mugs, and a shot of scotch. I have to take their word on it, as I don't remember much from 8pm on. The pictures look like I had an awesome time, and I have a couple phone numbers. So I guess I win...

I usually prefer draught to bottled, but every now and again you go to meet someone at some bar, and it lives up to the term "dive" by serving you what you must think is a joke. Some places are "bottle" bars, where you're best ordering from a can or bottle, because god only knows how old the stuff on tap is. I had a newcastle a week ago at just such an establishment that I knew I shouldn't have ordered as soon as I realized I was the only one drinking out of a glass. It tasted coppery, stale, and was probably the worst pint I've ever tried to drink.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #12
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew View Post
This gives me even more reason to homebrew, because I can't afford to pay $3.00/pint every day, and I'm not willing to sacrifice quality.

Any thoughts?
Ya move to Ireland for a summer... After paying $7 a pint you'll be happy to pay $3 when you get home...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #13
MrFebtober
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There is one beer in particular where the difference has been striking to me, a regional brew we have here called Over-the-Rhine Pale Ale by Christian Moerlein. On draft it has the most lovely hop aroma and floral flavor accents, but that's all lost when you buy a sixer of the stuff. I assume it's due to pastuerization. There aren't many other beers that I regularly drink both on draft and in bottles. I don't notice much of a difference with bottled and draft Boston Lager. There is perhaps a *slight* drop in quality of Great Lakes beers from the bottle, but I think it's minimized by the fact that they do NOT pasteurize their bottles.

On a side note, I'm always going to go for the draft option in a bar or restaurant, even if that means a pint of Killians instead of a bottle of Bass or Boston Lager (a typical decision in franchise restaurants round these parts). It stems from the fact that I am less likely to get the draft varieties at home. Why pay 3 times the price for a bottle of beer at a restaurant that I could be drinking at home? I also find, as the OP suggests, it's just a better drinking experience on draft.

Primary 1: Oktoberfest Lager
Primary 2: Apricot Wit
Primary 3: Christmas Warmer MkII
Primary 4: Apfelwein
Bottle conditioning: Vanilla Caramel Creme Ale
Bottle conditioning: Brain Spawn Saison
Bottle conditioning: Hot Shot Rye Red
On Tap 1: Barletariot Cream Ale
On Tap 2: Apfelwein

Old 07-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #14
tdavisii

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
I find this difference very evident in Sierra Nevada. The weird thing is, I like SN better in bottles than on tap.
I have heard that SN is dry hopped in the keg but the bottles are not.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:23 AM   #15
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
I find this difference very evident in Sierra Nevada. The weird thing is, I like SN better in bottles than on tap.
I know I'm replying a little late, but I'm glad you said that. I've always felt the same way. SNPA in bottles is one of my all-time favorite beers, and I consider it the baseline that all other APAs should be judged by. But on draft, I'm always disappointed.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:15 PM   #16
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post
I know I'm replying a little late, but I'm glad you said that. I've always felt the same way. SNPA in bottles is one of my all-time favorite beers, and I consider it the baseline that all other APAs should be judged by. But on draft, I'm always disappointed.
This is kind of an odd thing...but the draft SN Pale Ale is NOT the same recipe as the bottled recipe. If you go to the SN pub you will see two different Pale Ales on the menu...one will be "Draft-style Pale Ale" and the other will be "Pale Ale". The first one is actually the recipe that goes in the bottle...the second one is what goes into kegs to distribute. Honestly I can't tell the difference between the two on tap...but on tap vs. bottles there is an obvious difference. I suppose it's the natural carbonation vs. forced carbonation.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 07-31-2008, 06:48 PM   #17
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
Honestly I can't tell the difference between the two on tap...but on tap vs. bottles there is an obvious difference. I suppose it's the natural carbonation vs. forced carbonation.
Well, the bottles are naturally carbed, and there is normally a very dense ring of yeast at the bottom of an empty SNPA. Perhaps the kegs are force carbed?

Old 07-31-2008, 06:50 PM   #18
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

From what I understand the Pale Ale kegs are force carbed, and the Draft-Style Pale Ale kegs are naturally carbed.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 07-31-2008, 07:02 PM   #19
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Ahh, gotcha.

I seldom have the chance to drink it on tap, usually it's at Staples Center, from the single SNPA tap there. I assume it's not the "draft-style," but the force-kegged one. While it's not terrible, it doesn't compare to the bottled variety.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:21 AM   #20
Reddy
Recipes 

One of my favorite local bars has Edmund Fitzgerald on tap and that was were I first had it. I absolutely loved it so I started buying it in bottles at the grocery store. I noticed a huge drop in quality... but still, I buy it... that's some good beer!

Secondary 2: Backyard Blackberry/Grape Wine
Bottled/Drinking: Spiced Belgium Ale, Pumpkin Ale, and a variety of cider, mead and farmhouse wines
On Deck: Coffee Porter?

Quick Reply