Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Microbrews: Bottled very different from Kegged

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
mew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default Microbrews: Bottled very different from Kegged

Has anyone else noticed that most bottled microbrews are overcarbed and bland compared to the kegged versions?

I sure have, especially with hoppy beers. A bottled hoppy microbrew tends to have all the bitterness with none of the flavor, whereas the kegged versions have a ton of flavor and just the right amount of bitterness to balance everything else.

I'm guessing the phenomenon is merely due to bottled beer being past it's prime, because it doesn't seem to happen with malt-centric beer (except for the overcarbonation part).

This gives me even more reason to homebrew, because I can't afford to pay $3.00/pint every day, and I'm not willing to sacrifice quality.

Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Bottles are pasteurized and kegs most of the time are not. Once bottles leave the brewery the brewer has no clue whats going to happen to them. They could sit in a 100* warehouse for 6 weeks before being sent to stores. Alot of brewers don't bother to filter kegs since they go from a cold cellar at the brewery, to a air conditioned truck, to a cold room at a bar.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Absolutely! In fact, at the Sierra Nevada pub they have a "Draught-Style Pale Ale" and a draft "Pale Ale". The former is a slightly different recipe to get the beer to taste very close to what you get in the bottle, and the latter is a kegged version of Pale Ale. They are very similar, but you can taste the difference in a side by side taste test.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 06-09-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts

Also some breweries will contract out their big distributed beers and then make the kegs for their pubs in house. Sometimes it's just easier to have someone who has the capability to do a 100BBL batch produce your big seller, which leaves you more time to concentrate on your other brews.

Once again, its only some breweries who do this, not all for you nitpicking types

Old 06-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
Absolutely! In fact, at the Sierra Nevada pub they have a "Draught-Style Pale Ale" and a draft "Pale Ale". The former is a slightly different recipe to get the beer to taste very close to what you get in the bottle, and the latter is a kegged version of Pale Ale. They are very similar, but you can taste the difference in a side by side taste test.
I find this difference very evident in Sierra Nevada. The weird thing is, I like SN better in bottles than on tap.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
I find this difference very evident in Sierra Nevada. The weird thing is, I like SN better in bottles than on tap.
Yeah, SN Pale Ale is pretty good in the bottle. But I'd say Mirror Pond Pale Ale on tap from Deschutes blows it away. Unfortunately, the bottled Mirror Pond is just alright.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

In general that's true. The main exceptions are when I buy bottles at the brewery and store them properly. It's the only way you can be certain of getting the same beer, other than buying a cornie-full.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew View Post
Yeah, SN Pale Ale is pretty good in the bottle. But I'd say Mirror Pond Pale Ale on tap from Deschutes blows it away. Unfortunately, the bottled Mirror Pond is just alright.
Tell me about it. I lived in Bend for 8 years. I think one of the barstools at Deschutes Brewco still has my name on it.

Everyone once in awhile they had a Mirror Pond keg on nitro. That was niiiice.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:29 AM   #9
Slinggalin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
So I take it that is why Guiness on tap taste different from Guiness in the bottle???

I guess they try to make em taste similar by putting that wedget in the bottles..

Don't work.. Guiness on tap is me favorite beer.

Not too found of the bottled product..

Old 07-01-2008, 05:44 AM   #10
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I always go for what's on tap. It's always better.

Quick Reply