Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Microbrewery Startup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
SCBrewster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Microbrewery Startup

So as I'm sure many of you have dreamed about in the past..I am strongly considering starting up a microbrewery sometime down the road. I haven't been doing this for too long but have a huge passion for it. I have a really good business partner if we decided to go through with it. I live in South Carolina where there are not many compared to other states. Anybody have any words of wisdom or advice other than don't do it? Lol. Would a brew pub or just a straight bottling brewery be the way to go?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 516

Talk to a lawyer.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

daksin Likes This 
Old 02-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
OldWorld
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

A small brew pub would probably provide the highest profit margins. Small craft brewing requires a certain amount of volume to turn a reasonable profit. With a brew pub you can make greater profits on beer sales by selling directly to the clients.

A kegging operation is better than a bottling line. You can move beers faster with less risk of spoilage.

I know a professional brewer who makes small volumes of beer and turns a very modest profit.

Good luck. Make a good burger...good hand cut fries, a few salads and some fried appetizers, combine that with some tasty beer and you just might win. If your business partner will invest the capital without great expectations I'd say go for it.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
SCBrewster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah I like the idea of a brew pub and selling directly but it is a lot more capital intense and requires hiring more people. Although my wife and I do have restaurant experience so it very well could be a possibility

Old 02-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
OldWorld
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

The reason I would suggest a brew pub is because you are experienced in small volumes of beer. Stepping it up to a several barrel system would be good.

Yes the food service takes experience and lots of management. My suggestion would be to shop around for square footage pricing. Look into all the local permit issues you might encounter.

The most difficult encounters you will have is boiler and plumbing permits. Setting up a steam brewing system can really add up. Fire inspections etc...Believe it or not the bond and insurance for making beer is not all that bad. Construction permits are much more tedious.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Good luck, I plan on the very beginning stages of that next year. In south Carolina no less, after I'm out of brew school.

Where are you located?

Old 02-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Read this guy's thread:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/i-we...-do-so-386476/

It's a pretty good read and give you a feel for just how much red tape you have to sift through before you can even start brewing in your space. Develop a solid business plan and get a lawyer.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
SCBrewster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That's awesome! I am out of Florence as of right now. I work in Hartsville. Not sure what area we are thinking just quite yet. I wonder if The state of sc is a tough place to do it or not with alcohol laws and all of that.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
SCBrewster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah I read the I went pro and what it actually takes. What really surprised me about that was that it was a nano brewery system and its near impossible to turn a profit with it. I don't know why do all that work knowing you won't make any money in return. Seems it would be smarter to just go right to a 7bbl or 15bbl system. But if you have a nano brewery in a pub that would be different

Old 02-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBrewster View Post
That's awesome! I am out of Florence as of right now. I work in Hartsville. Not sure what area we are thinking just quite yet. I wonder if The state of sc is a tough place to do it or not with alcohol laws and all of that.
I have family in hartsville. I'm down in the low country. The tasting room laws make it tough to make a nano work, as we can't sell pints. Plus SC is still a 3 tier state which needs to be changed

Quick Reply