The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > in the Michiana area for a couple weeks...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
Xtant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds like some great suggestions. I have Saturday and Sunday completely free. Maybe I need to start planning.

Driving isn't an issue.

Looks like two hours for Founders and an hour and a half for 3 Floyds.

"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop." -Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #12
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtant View Post
Sounds like some great suggestions. I have Saturday and Sunday completely free. Maybe I need to start planning.

Driving isn't an issue.

Looks like two hours for Founders and an hour and a half for 3 Floyds.
Just a block or three from Founders ia a great pub they have over 50 taps and more bottles than I can count. They specialize in MI. beer so you may be able to knock off the list you my not be able to get too.

Hopcat

Old 08-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #13
Xtant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I didn't get a chance to go to Hopcat, but I did hit up Founders.

It was pretty neat. I tried their Spite. It was a pepper pale ale according to the bartender. He said it had a "little heat." I initially passed on it, but my curiosity got the better of me. It was light and refresh-holy crap. The burn. It started off light and crisp, but before I could even start to pick out flavors, the peppers hit. Then I noticed my lips were tingling. Then burning. Then reached over and grabbed one of the many glasses of water the barback had set up. It was hot. Very hot. For dinner I had their Big Easy (phenomenal sandwich) and their chips and salsa. Spite had at least twice the bite of their salsa. It was an, um, interesting beer.

I've also been picking through various liquor stores to come up with beers unavailable in KY. So far:

- Fat Tire
- Ranger
- Blue Paddler
- Somersault
- Yeti Imperial Stout
- Boulevard Brewing Co Dark Truth Stout
- Keweenaw's Widow Maker Black Ale
- Atwater's Vanilla Java Porter

The New Belgium's were not new to me, but I've never had the others. I just picked up the Yeti and it is fantastic.

I'm seriously debating the three hour drive to Wisconsin to pick up some New Glarus brews...

"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop." -Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

Old 08-28-2012, 03:44 AM   #14
thepartsmancometh
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

Check out boulevard 's other smokestack series beers if you can get them. Dark truth is great, as is sixth glass and the Saison Brett is phenomenal.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #15
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

New Holland makes some phenomenal beers... Dragon's Milk is a barrel age dark ale/stout that comes in at 10% abv, and is complex, smooth, and sneaky... you have to be careful drinking it because the 10% sneaks up on you because it is so balanced and smooth!

They also make a great sour (Blue Sunday Sour), a Mole inspired ale (El Mole Ocho), a smoked Rye porter (Charkoota Rye), a honey infused triple (Beerhive Triple), a very balanced IIPA (Imperial Hatter)... they also just released their fall seasonal pumpkin ale that is well received (Ichabod).

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Quick Reply