Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Mexican Cerveza

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
Terry08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mexican Cerveza

You guy's have probably read my posts and know I am a quickie brewer.
Well I just got two kits of Coopers "Mexican Cerveza" There is a commercial type called "Corona" which this is supposed to emulate.

"Corona is a popular "Yuppy" drink but expensive even a few dollars more than "Crown Lager" which is one of the best you can get in Oz. (Not many get mine so they would not know what best really was).

I just had a sobering thought. When I cark it someone will have access to over 200 bottles of the best beer on the planet. Me brag! never.

I would like any comments. I now have committed the next two brews to this type some 60 x 750ml's so I will be drinking it for a while.

I like beer that is at least 2 to 3 months old which means keeping a stock of some 200 x750ml bottles. I brew a batch when my bottles become free. I do not count several dozen stubbies which I use as testers and after mowing the lawn or an excuse like that. I consume 2 x 750ml's / day stubbies do not count and have done so for the past 40 years.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
Terry08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was hoping for a reply to this. It is a variety that has just been released by Coopers and I was wondering if it did emulate Corona.

I will be trying it in a month as it has just been put in fermentation.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You will probably end up with something better than corona. Yuppies usually drink the commercial version with a wedge of lime (at least in the US) which effectively hides the fact that it isn't that good of a beer. The Coopers kit has been around for a few years at my LHBS and while I haven't made it myself the shops stock of it moves at a reasonable rate. Thats about all I can really tell you though, keep us posted on how it turns out.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
mawa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Heeeeeey, don't you dare saying Corona isn't that good of a beer.
I'm Mexican and I know what I'm talking about........................it's not that good of a beer, it is a piece of crap beer!!!!!

Seriously, i have no idea why Corona is so popular in the US. Here in Mexico it's popular because is the cheapest sh*t you can find. There are better (not great, just better) beers in Mexico besides Corona. I'll take and Indio or XX Ambar anytime!

Old 12-05-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawa View Post
Heeeeeey, don't you dare saying Corona isn't that good of a beer.
I'm Mexican and I know what I'm talking about........................it's not that good of a beer, it is a piece of crap beer!!!!!

Seriously, i have no idea why Corona is so popular in the US. Here in Mexico it's popular because is the cheapest sh*t you can find. There are better (not great, just better) beers in Mexico besides Corona. I'll take and Indio or XX Ambar anytime!
i must disagree...dos equis is a better beer...corona is at best drinkable. And the lime although i had never previously though about it, masks the skunked hop taste....

edit....wow i didint read that last part. I though you were going on about how good it is. I just came back from Mexico....I liked Sol beter by far....

Old 12-05-2008, 11:47 PM   #6
mawa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The lime is another US thing. You never see anyone in Mexico with a lime wedge on the bottle.

And yeah, while not being a great beer, Sol is far better than corona. That's my goto beer when I'm out and I know I'm gonna be drinking more than usual, tomorrow being one of those days (business xmas party)!!!!

Old 12-05-2008, 11:51 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Corona is one of the worst beers out there. It's only really good on a super hot day when you can chug it down after cutting the grass. It's probably one of my favorite commerical "lawnmower beers" though. It's light, thin, and skunked.

In Mexico, though, it was great in micheladas. I prefer micheladas with negro modela, though.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 12-06-2008, 12:06 AM   #8
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

That would be Negra Modelo, Yooper. Those pesky vowels in Spanish are hard to get straight, aren't they?

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 12-06-2008, 12:16 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtzk View Post
That would be Negra Modelo, Yooper. Those pesky vowels in Spanish are hard to get straight, aren't they?
Yep! As I typed it, I thought, "oh, **** that's backwards" but I didn't really care enough to fix it. Good beer, though.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 12-06-2008, 12:16 AM   #10
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I doubt the coopers kit will get very close to a cervesa as the only include a generic ale yeast with those. And with lagers, yeast matter just a tiny bit.
In fact while we are on that subject any "kit" beer that is a lager style I have ever seen does not come with lager yeast, and is way way off. And then I find people who buy kits surely aren't going to lager their ale to attempt to clean it up a bit.

I am a fan of Pacifico on occasion.

Quick Reply