Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > messed up a boil... Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #11
dstranger99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 21

^ don't even stir, just drop them in.............

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 12:54 AM   #12
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 47

It will be a little hoppy but not a big deal, it was only a 16-18 IBU recipe to begin with. Just call it an Imperial Cream Ale. I don't think it's worth messing with.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 10-10-2012, 04:38 AM   #13
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So you haven't doubled your IBU. With Willamette, it's only around 5% and thus the impact is smaller than it could have been.

You had an expected IBU of about 27. Your approximate IBU is 40. (This is assuming 5% AA, 6 gallon boil, BG of 1.040, full hop efficiency, and using BeerSmith)

It looks like you did a smaller boil, so your utilization will be lower. So my guess is you're in the neighborhood of 30, which will put you on the upper end of the Blonde Ale category.

As others have said, use dry hopping to get aroma in there, but I think you'll have a very nice brew.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #14
gt_andy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

So, add aroma hopps when i transfer to secondary? Then let it continue to ferment in the secondaryfor another 5-7 days. Any special type of aroma hopps? the same that came with the kit?

Old 10-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #15
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_andy View Post
So, add aroma hopps when i transfer to secondary? Then let it continue to ferment in the secondaryfor another 5-7 days. Any special type of aroma hopps? the same that came with the kit?
Yep. Or skip the secondary and add during the last week of primary, your choice. You can drop them in as is or use a sanitized muslin bag.

Any hop can be used, but go ahead and use Willamette.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #16
gt_andy
Recipes 

Thanks guys! Im sorry i have been hard to work with. Im just trying to save this thing the best i can.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #17
adam62cb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am surprised no one mentioned this yet!

Relax Don't Worry, Have a Home Brew

If you even generally followed the instructions and were fairly sanitary, then you have nothing to worry about. You probably wont notice that much of a difference. I would let it ferment completely, bottle condition for a while and drink it. It might not be what the recipe intended, but it will be beer, and will probably surprise you.

If you screw with it too much, you'll end up worse off than being light on the aroma hops... If you want to throw a few hops in the fermentor when it is almost ready, fine, but not needed. Good Luck!

Old 01-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #18
gt_andy
Recipes 

Ok, i dont know how to say this. But i still have this in my primary. The same batch. It appears it was brewed on 10-10-12. I have not opened it to check on it.
Anyways, its still sitting there. Now because this was brewed on 10-10 it was still rather warm out and the room it was fermenting in had AC running to it. Untill it got cold out. Now it has been having heat running to it. So im sure its bee sitting in High temps or fluctation temps since 10-10.

I had alot of stuff going on from then to now and i kinda forgot about it

Here are my questions.
-is it still good?
-how can i tell if it is infected?
-would it be worth it to just bottle it and see what happens?

Any help will be great. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #19
kmos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_andy View Post
Here are my questions.
-is it still good?
-how can i tell if it is infected?
-would it be worth it to just bottle it and see what happens?
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't still be good. Cream Ales have a bit more delicate flavors than, say, an IIPA, but a 10 week primary isn't going to ruin your beer. As for the temperature fluctuations, while that is not the best thing for your beer, locking in your temps is the most important during the first 3-5 days, when the fermentation is going.

One way you can tell if it is infected is if it has a pellicle on the surface (basically, a think white layer with bubbles). The best way, however, is simply to pull a sample, see what the FG is, and taste it. If you haven't opened it, and your sanitation practices are up to snuff, you shouldn't have an infection.

If you haven't done so already, add the dry hops. Wait one week, then bottle it. Wait three weeks (or so) and then enjoy your beer!

Lastly, it is always worth it to bottle it and see what happens. This whole hobby is one big learning experience.

Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew.

Primary: Saison; German Black Ale;
Secondary: n/a
In the Barrel: English Mild;
Bottled/Kegged: Oud Bruin (ECY23); English Mild;
Up Next: Ordinary Bitter;

Old 01-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #20
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

One way to lessen the bitterness of an over-hopped beer is to simply wait it out. As the beer ages the hop profile will wane and balance. Leaving it sit for two months was probably the best thing you could have done to overcome the boil error.

Infection: does it look like old fridge food? If not, it's not infected. Do as kmos says for the dry hopping.

Don't be worried about the temp changes. After fermentation is complete be beer becomes much less sensitive to temperature and will use the time to clear any temperature-induced fermentation byproducts. Kyle

Quick Reply