Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > messed up a boil... Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
gt_andy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Default messed up a boil... Help

I have done about 8 or 9 brews with good success. I had a buddy that was interested in brewing. I invited him over for the boil process. As i was getting everything cleaned and ready to go i had him read over the instructions.

Anyways, when it came to the boil part. He grabed the aroma hops and put them in at the begining of the boil. I noticed this after it was too late.

In the heat of the moment i decided to put the bittering hops in at the same time. we let it boil for 40 minutes and added the DME and sugar and boild the remaining 10 or 15 minutes.

Is this going to make a nasty batch? or make it skunky? Or will it not affect it at all?

Its a America Cream ale by brewers best!.
http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/N...e%20Recipe.pdf

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Odin_Brews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It will double your IBU's. Basically you threw in twice as much hops at the beginning of the boil which means you'll get two times the IBU's and now you have no aroma hops to balance it and high IBUs for the style. I would let it ferment through for 5-7 days (primary fermentation phase) and take a hydro sample. If it's super bitter then you can throw an ounce of willamettes on as a dry hop and try to get some of the aroma. Another option would be brew again with no bittering addition (extract and water) and dilute it down to the IBU's desired.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Odin has the sense of it. I might look to dry hop either way to get some aroma into it.

The truth is the nasty part will be how bitter it is. If you like bitter, then you are in luck! OTOH, maybe it will be to bitter. It won't be skunky or nasty nescesarily.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
gt_andy
Recipes 

So basicly. I can do another Kit.. without adding the hops. Mix it all together.. and make 2 5 gal batches. it will even it out?

Or should i just pour it out and start over? Im not a fan of extra bitterness.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
ACbrewer
Recipes 

Don't pour it out!! that woudl be the waste of a good beer. Go with the other option, make another beer with no hops. No real need to boil more than I think 10 minutes to help really disolve the malt. You could add aroma hops if you want, but as long as you are sanitary (the other point of a boil), a 60 minute boil is longer than you need.

Here is what I would do. Boil probalby 10 mins a 2nd kit. If I coudl get it quick, I'd split the 5 gallons I have into about 2.5 and 2.5 and pour the fresh wort on top and let it go and bottle 10 gallons in about 2 to 4 weeks (depending on schedules). If it took longer than say the next day or 2 to get more product - which realy is just going to the lhbs and getting some replacement malts - I probably would let the one sit and then ferment the 2nd hopless batch independantly. At bottling day I'd mix 50/50. I've not looked at your kit instructions, so I'm not totally sure what exactly went into it besides malt and hops. Being a non bitter guy myself, I have to agree with your assement of bitter brews.

Others will probably have differing ideas on the exact mechanism for how and when to mix (before the bottle obviously, but how much before I don't know).

One other peice of advice before you do anything (other than buy malt) woudl be to sanatize a dipping device (turkey baster) or take from the spicket if it has one a drink/tasting sample and see if it is too bitter a 20 IBU bear is not necessarily 2x bitter as a 10 IBU beer.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
Odin_Brews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

you could boil for 10 minutes, add all hops as your aroma with 5 left and basically end up with a double batch. Just split the new one with a split of the old one and you've got the original recipe more or less. Might want to compensate boil volumes for the shorter boil time. I reckon you make a second batch ASAP with the short boil time, pitch yeast and let the primary fermentation go, then rack to secondary by mixing the two. Maybe that's the wrong thing to do, Im really not sure. But in my mind it would work itself out to the original.

In the interest of science you could always split it off to a dry hop and a mixed batch and compare the two

Old 10-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
gt_andy
Recipes 

Some of all of this info is overwhelming. To novice to understand what dry hopping is.. At this point im confused.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_andy View Post
Some of all of this info is overwhelming. To novice to understand what dry hopping is.. At this point im confused.
I would dry hop, problem solved, just rack to a secondary in about 10 days, and add a pack of aroma hops....

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 10-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
ACbrewer
Recipes 

dry hoping is the placing of your hops in the fermentor without boiling them. You put in 'dry hops'.

Hops have several flavor components, only one is bittering. The bittering agent is called Alpha Acid or AA. Alpha acids are very pourly disovled in water, so to get them to disolve better, we boil them and they are isomerized which is a word in chemistry for 'they change shape.' Since dry hoping involves no heating of the hops, they don't add much bittering, but do add some arroma. The low temperature aroma of hops is most similar to cut grass, or a 'green smell.'

Thus brewing another batch and dry hoping it - adding hops after you've cooled it - will add some hop arroma and very little bitterness. I still say taste what you have and see if it is to bitter for you.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
gt_andy
Recipes 

So there is no need to boil another batch. Just add some aroma hops then stir when i rack it into the secondary?

Quick Reply