Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Medieval Ale- Discussion and Experiences

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010, 02:24 AM   #101
cmdrico7812
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So I've been thinking about giving this a go. I'm a bit of a nerd and have been reading the "Song of Ice and Fire" series and thinking about medieval ales. I was inspired by this site that has been reference in this post before: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~pwp/tofi/medi...glish_ale.html

The author presents two recipes for recreating medieval English ales. I did kind of a hybrid between the two recipes. Here is what I did:

Ingredients:
4.5 lbs Marris Otter
.5 lbs Marris Otter roasted at 225 for 50 mins and 275 for 10 mins in the oven
1.5 lbs. Flaked Oats

Heated 3.5 gallons of water to a boil.
Added 2 quarts to mash tun.
Added grain.
Added all but one gallon of water to the tun. Did not stir. Let sit for 20 mins.
Added the remaining water after bringing it back to a boil. Stirred grist well. Let sit for 3 hours 15 mins.
Drained first runnings into fermenter slowly. Got just over one gallon of wort.
Heated two gallons of water to boiling.
Added 1.5 gallons water to mash tun. Let sit again for 30-45 mins.
Drained second runnings into same fermenter. Got about 2.5 to 2.75 gallons total.

Color is light amber. First runnings were darker than second as expected.
Let cool to about 70 degrees. Pitched one package of Nottingham yeast. Added airlock.

It's been in the fermenter bubbling away for a day now. It popped off the stopper and it smelled like any other fermentation, maybe a bit more like bread.

Since I didn't take any gravity readings, when the fermentation slows to one bubble every two minutes or so I'll take a taste and see what happened. The wort was fairly clear going into the fermenter and I didn't recirculate the first runnings.

Let me know your thoughts and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Beer...it's awesome.

Zwei Brüder Brauerei

Planning: Nutcastle Brown, Founder's Breakfast Stout
Primary: Apfelwein w/Cherry
Secondary: Flanders Red, ESB2, ESB3, Hobgoblin PM
Bottle: Black Beauty Honey Rye, Holiday Chestnut Ale, Grumpy Gnome IPA, Sumatran Espresso Stout, Apfelwein, All Jacked Up, Patriot's Amber, ESB1, Belgian Dubbel.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 04:14 AM   #102
cmdrico7812
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Already so I couldn't wait until the fermentation slowed down. I popped off the plug and tried a bit of the medieval ale I detailed previously. It tasted great! It's fermenting at about 64 degrees, but it didn't taste warm. It was unexpectedly refreshing. You could definitely taste the liquid bread and grain in it, but the harsh tannins didn't come through. I could see how you would drink this to refresh yourself in the summer.

Once the fermentation slows a bit more (probably tomorrow morning), I'll put the fermenter in our back room (at just above outside temps, about 20 here in Michigan right now) since it won't fit in my fridge, and leave it there. I'll try samples every few days to see how it changes. Overall, I think it tasted great just two days after brewing.

Beer...it's awesome.

Zwei Brüder Brauerei

Planning: Nutcastle Brown, Founder's Breakfast Stout
Primary: Apfelwein w/Cherry
Secondary: Flanders Red, ESB2, ESB3, Hobgoblin PM
Bottle: Black Beauty Honey Rye, Holiday Chestnut Ale, Grumpy Gnome IPA, Sumatran Espresso Stout, Apfelwein, All Jacked Up, Patriot's Amber, ESB1, Belgian Dubbel.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:58 AM   #103
The_Professor
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

I am running up on another attempt at this recipe/inventory.

This time I have home malted barley and spelt/wheat. I am just starting the malted oats.

I'll use a gruit mix of Marsh Rosemary, Sweet Gale, and Yarrow

Brewing since '08
1-92,94-95) - Gone
93) Hopped Crystal Malt Mead
96) CCCP Lager
97) Aussie Pilsner

Old 06-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #104
The_Professor
Recipes 

I have home malted oats, barley, and spelt as well as (store bought) Marsh Rosemary, Sweet Gale, and Yarrow.
It will be a 2-2.5 gallon batch depending on conversion and such.
Currently thinking 0.20-0.25 each herb at both bittering and flameout.

Brewing since '08
1-92,94-95) - Gone
96) CCCP Lager
97) Aussie Pilsner

Reason: Clairfy herbs are store bought

Old 06-09-2011, 02:16 AM   #105
OriginalIrishman
Recipes 

Well this thread is going to get me in trouble! I am only on Extract kit number 4 and having a great time and some good beer but this is a whole other animal I am going to have way to many projects at once. The way these are sounding is very interesting and reminding me of a beer one of our local breweris makes that I love. Squatters Root Cellar and it is an american Ale that is aged in Port barrels I love the stuff!!!!
Here is a review

and a review here
Sorry I admit I am the Utah Beer Guy and do not update my blog enough I am to busy making beer as of late but will catch up soon!

Secondary2-Unraptured Stout (2)
Bottled-Kolsch (1)
Kegged-working on the Keezer still!!

Next Up-English Cream Ale,Pale Ale,IPA

Old 06-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #106
The_Professor
Recipes 

I did brew up "The Monks Of St. Paul's Cathedral Ale" a couple days ago.

I was a bit surprised that my home malted grains converted just as well as any malt I have bought. I did have some amylase standing by in case conversion was horribly low but I did not use any at all. A Brix reading half way through the alpha amylase rest was good enough I decided to let it ride.

The grain bill:
1 lb 4 oz malted barley, pale
1 lb 5 oz malted spelt, pale (wheat)
1 lb 8 oz malted oats, pale
1 lb 5 oz malted oats, munich style (additional toasting)
7 oz crystal oats (these tasted like a granola bar)

I did a step mash:
20 @ 104
15 @ 120
20 @ 140
60 @ 152
10 @ 168

Preboil Brix for 3.5 gallons 9.0
Post 90 min boil 14.0
Since the gravity was good and I was a bit short of my volume I added some water to make a final 2.2 gallons in the fermenter. Didn't take another reading, I assuming about 12.0 OG Brix.

I added 0.25 each herb (Marsh Rosemary, Sweet Gale, Yarrow) for 60 min boil.

Today I did a taste test and Brix reading. The Brix was 8.0 so all is going well there.

The bittering herb addition seems to be in the ballpark, the ale is not overly sweet or bitter. The bitterness is not "clean", there is some herb flavor, but not overpowering or bad.

Brewing since '08
1-92,94-95) - Gone
96) CCCP Lager
97) Aussie Pilsner

Reason: Correct herb names

Old 06-13-2011, 03:44 AM   #107
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Professor View Post
. . . . . The bitterness is not "clean", there is some herb flavor, but not overpowering or bad.
Can you expound on this biterness/flavor a little? I've found when boiling herbs to use about half as much as one would hops, even at that my "gruit style" ales have taken extensive conditioning to be really good. Also did you add the flameout addition or just 1hr?

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:18 AM   #108
The_Professor
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
Can you expound on this biterness/flavor a little? I've found when boiling herbs to use about half as much as one would hops, even at that my "gruit style" ales have taken extensive conditioning to be really good. Also did you add the flameout addition or just 1hr?
I'll answer the second part first. I did not add the flameout addition. I decided the bitterness addition was the most important to me and was not sure how much flavor would carry through.

The reason I had planned a bittering and flameout addition was because one source I read (sorry no link) said to add gruit during the boil and into the fermenting ale. I had thought flameout would be good for sanitation purposes, but it looks like I may do a dry herb addition for anywhere from 12-48HRS depending on the flavor after at least a full week fermenting.

Now the first part...
Bear in mind it has only been fermenting a few days, and the flavor is different today than yesterday. I taste some herbs, the finish is about the right bitterness, and the aftertaste is herbs. The herb flavor is not real strong and I would say it is the "bitter condition" of each of those herbs. I think it would be good to complement with the fresh flavor of one or all of those herbs but I am not going to add anything if I think it will overpower the brew. I think it is the yarrow that is a bit citrusy, the other two more earthy with a sweet and sour thing going on.
I would not add more than I did, adding the smaller amount may have worked as well.
Currently I am not unhappy with the flavor, but there is a ways to go.

Brewing since '08
1-92,94-95) - Gone
96) CCCP Lager
97) Aussie Pilsner

Old 06-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #109
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Professor View Post
. . . . I think it is the yarrow that is a bit citrusy, the other two more earthy with a sweet and sour thing going on.
I would not add more than I did, adding the smaller amount may have worked as well.
Currently I am not unhappy with the flavor, but there is a ways to go.
Thanx for that, also something that may help you separate the herb flavors is to make a tea with each one to see what they add. This may help in deciding any dry additions. I have made a tea with these before but can't find my notes to date.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:32 AM   #110
The_Professor
Recipes 

I have made some teas with the herbs and it helps some.

Starting at about 7 days I was sampling the ale to decide if I wanted to dry herb. Of course, since it is so young, the flavor is a moving target. One time seeming a bit tart, another time more mellow. I did decide to add 1/4 each herb for the dry herb addition. It was added for about 12HRS.

I went ahead and bottled it at 9 days (the dry herb was started the evening before) hoping for a bit of carb without adding anything else.

Here's what it looked like pre-bottling:

Brewing since '08
1-92,94-95) - Gone
96) CCCP Lager
97) Aussie Pilsner

Quick Reply