Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > medicinal Duvel taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
brad451
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default medicinal Duvel taste

Does anyone know what accounts for that slightly medicinal taste in a Duvel? Are those alcohols?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Could be a number of things... Duvel is my favorite beer and can't say that I have tasted a medicinal taste. My taste buds may be different than yours though... Here's a quote from the BJCP Guidelines regarding this type of beer:

"Flavor: Complex with significant fruity esters, moderate spiciness and low to moderate alcohol and hop aromas. Esters are reminiscent of lighter fruits such as pears, oranges or apples. Moderate spicy, peppery phenols. A lot to moderate yet distinctive perfumy, floral hop character is often present. Alcohols are soft, spicy, perfumy and low-to-moderate in intensity. No hot alcohol or solventy aromas. The malt character is light. No diacetyl."

The medicinal flavors you are tasting may be coming from the phenols, esters, or even the alcohol. Just thought this would help kinda narrow it down for you.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 03-19-2009, 12:06 AM   #3
steelerguy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I really like Duvel also and never detected a medicinal taste. Perhaps it is the phenols or simply the alcohol you detect? I'm always thinking pears...that crazy Belgian yeast!

Old 03-19-2009, 01:05 AM   #4
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad451 View Post
Does anyone know what accounts for that slightly medicinal taste in a Duvel? Are those alcohols?
That would be phenolic compounds produced during fermentation by the yeast. They are typical in many Belgian ales although the amounts present will vary greatly from beer to beer.

Disclaimer: I have zero tolerance for phenols and even the most minuscule amount renders a beer undrinkable to me.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
brad451
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
That would be phenolic compounds produced during fermentation by the yeast. They are typical in many Belgian ales although the amounts present will vary greatly from beer to beer.

Disclaimer: I have zero tolerance for phenols and even the most minuscule amount renders a beer undrinkable to me.

Hmmm. Maybe I too have a low tolerance for them. Neither my wife nor any of my drinking buddies can make out the same medicinal taste that I get. Thanks for the replies

Quick Reply