Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is it me, or is it.....?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
hautlle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
As far as becoming a judge, anyone with a small bit of studying can start on the path to being a judge. There are many levels and at the very least you should find some competitions near you and volunteer to help, even if it's just being a steward. From there you can take an online test to get a low level certification and start the real work of learning all of the styles by heart and preparing yourself for the difficult task of taking the tasting test and essays. It's been a while since I looked into this. It ended up being more work than I thought I could handle at the time. I decided to just work competitions as I could find them and continue to practice tasting. At some point I do plan on studying up and taking the test, but it will probably wait until the tests become more available and closer. They are currently hard to get into and usually a good distance away.

If you really are interested in becoming a BJCP judge, then I suggest you go to the BJCP WEBSITE and read up on the process and get started.

I attended a few intro BJCP classes through my LHBC recently and was told they're in the process of changing how the testing process works to make it a bit easier since there is a shortage of certified judges and the number of entries/competitions is increasing significantly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2249 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautlle View Post
I attended a few intro BJCP classes through my LHBC recently and was told they're in the process of changing how the testing process works to make it a bit easier since there is a shortage of certified judges and the number of entries/competitions is increasing significantly.
Yeah, the whole system is being revamped, starting this past March. Not sure how long it will take to start showing improvement on the actual testing portion, but I think they are moving in the right direction.

The online test is fun and not all that difficult. And you can take it as often as you like as long as you give it a new email address.

When I judged for the first time this spring I had a lot of fun and it was much easier than I expected. I got lucky in that I had a category that I was familiar with and they paired me up with an experienced judge and I was surprised at how close we each were in our scores. That was a good confidence builder.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #13
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal

Yeah, the whole system is being revamped, starting this past March. Not sure how long it will take to start showing improvement on the actual testing portion, but I think they are moving in the right direction.

The online test is fun and not all that difficult. And you can take it as often as you like as long as you give it a new email address.

When I judged for the first time this spring I had a lot of fun and it was much easier than I expected. I got lucky in that I had a category that I was familiar with and they paired me up with an experienced judge and I was surprised at how close we each were in our scores. That was a good confidence builder.
+1 all around!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Quick Reply