Maybe my first bad batch.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
I know these questions are asked ad-naseum, and really this is more of a vent than a question.

I wanted to brew with a friend of mine a couple of week ago, so hauled everything over to his house. We were brewing a partial mash nut brown. before we got started I discovered a leak in my el-cheapo turkey fryer boil kettle, so we went from a full boil to partial. ended up with over 3 gallons in the boil pot by the time we sparged, etc.

Took FOREVER to cool to pitching temp, and then fermention did not take off for over 20 hours, and that was cuz I got nervous and pitched a pack of dry yeast I had sitting in the fridge on top of the liquid yeast. Then it really took off!

Anyway, racked off of the secondary into the keg tonight and it has an off taste, very sharp tasting, and tastes way too watered down for a nut brown. Color looks right, and I started with a 1.046 OG and am now at 1.014 FG.

It almosts tastes chemical, like cleaner or something. I use oxyclean to clean everything, rinse repeatedly then sanitize with iadopher and don't rinse.

Hope it clears up in the next couple of weeks :mad:

Had to pull a pint of my Octoberfest style lagar to get the taste out of my mouth :mug:

Now that you mention it, it WAS tap water. I never even thought about it. I live in the county on a well, and have great water. He lives in town and is on city water.

So maybe thats what it could have been??

I just don't trust tap water where I live. It doesn't taste bad bad but I just don't like the idea of using it for some reason. Might as well use spring water next time you brew there.

Back