max legal ABV question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theonetrueruss

Reaction score
ok, so technically GA has a limit of 50G of homebrew per year. It looks like the legal definition of beer/malt beverage included a max of 6%ABV though I know the max was raised for commercially available beer to 14% a few years back. Does anyone know if there is a max ABV legal for homebrew in GA?

What does it matter? Unless you are planning to sell them commercially... No one is ever going to break into your house and check your homebrew closet to see if you've got any barleywines or anything... lol

Well the way I read GA law is as follows:

Section 3-5-4 of the general code allows the head of household to brew up to 50 gallons per year of a "malt beverage."

"Malt Beverage" is defined by section 3-1-2(13) as not containing more than 14% ABV.

Therefore, the legal limit accordingly would be 14% for homebrew as well as commercial brew. However, it is always recommended that you consult with an attorney licensed in Georgia prior to relying on any such information.

RDWAHAHB...laws are for sissies. Go ahead, make whatever you want!!!! :rockin:

Well the way I read GA law is as follows:

Section 3-5-4 of the general code allows the head of household to brew up to 50 gallons per year of a "malt beverage."

"Malt Beverage" is defined by section 3-1-2(13) as not containing more than 14% ABV.

Therefore, the legal limit accordingly would be 14% for homebrew as well as commercial brew. However, it is always recommended that you consult with an attorney licensed in Georgia prior to relying on any such information.

But would that also mean that you could brew as much as you like as long as it is over 14% ;)

thanks BigB.. I just couldn't seem to find the right references. I thought that was the case.

knowing the rules is always critical

Know the rules.. know the consequences and risks, then make choices. And above all keep private that which generates risk.

Back