Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Mash tuns

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2014, 01:21 AM   #1
dhelegda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default Mash tuns

Ok so I just built these water cooler mash tuns. On one, I spent $41 plus shipping and handling for all stainless steel valves and parts. On the other I saves a few bucks and got a brass valve and plastic parts. Both have stainless steel braided hose for both. Is there anything negative or wrong about using brass. Almost every home brew site sells them, so I thought what the hell! Opinions?

imageuploadedbyhome-brew1389838437.134261.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 01:27 AM   #2
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There is nothing wrong with brass as long as you remove the surface lead and have very little other metals in the system.

You may run into issues with galvanic corrosion if you mix brass, aluminum and copper.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:28 AM   #3
dhelegda
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default Mash tuns

The valve is brass, with a hollow plastic piece of all thread threaded in to it. The plastic all thread the enters the cooler there are two rubber o-rings, then a stainless washer then a threaded plastic coupling used to tighten it all together, then the stainless braided hose is fastened to the plastic coupling with a stainless hose clamp. There are no dissimilar metals touching.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:28 AM   #4
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2535 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 5712

My mash tun has been fitted with a brass valve for years with no issues. Some will say it will leech lead into your beer, but the surface lead can easily be cleaned off. According to Palmer:

Quote:
Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5-10 minutes at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 01-16-2014, 01:37 AM   #5
dhelegda
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

So I should soak it for a few and it should be good to go? Sounds easy enough.

Quick Reply